Tenses

edited May 2017 in General

I kindly request the Setswana community that has joined on this forum to give their contribution of thoughts or broad hints as much as possible to make sure they enable learners become elegant in Setswana, we start with tenses.

Comments

• @Simone @Warona_Makafu and the whole Setswana community we should hold on together to learn tenses in Setswana.

• And I really ask you to visit the forum everyday in the evening after long day busy working out there within this month I want to fully get conscious with tenses and be able to make a sentence on my own.

• @KennedyMlay , how are you Kennedy, my apologies, how have you been, I hear you have a book you want to discuss?

• I'm fine, how are you doing there?
    @Warona_Makafu I have an article we will discuss together here so as to know some of the things that constitute obstacles when I pass through it.

• We should learn tenses and the connecting words, finally when I'm well conscious with them I will fight on my own to have more vocabularies and I will be making a comment in Setswana here and one day I will come to find you

• We start with present and negative present

• @Warona_Makafu please come to this discussion all the things we learn in here.

• Hello @KennedyMlay , sure let's discuss tenses, maybe this is worth writing an article about, don't you think @Simone? I will share a few examples with you @KennedyMlay , let me get back to you on this

• Many thanks @KennedyMlay for starting this forum thread

• edited June 2017

Alright @Warona_Makafu that exactly what I want and it will be much better to keep me well informed on how the verb changes to another form to show the time, continuance, completion of an action and so many others

• Show me a few examples and then I will comment on it
    I will be visiting the forum daily this now my classroom.

• Dumela @KennedyMlay , I have a few examples for you. I will try my best to explain Setswana in English.
    I will talk about 4 tenses that we have and give example sentenses.

1.Present tense: Paka jaanong
    eg. The students are writing exams: Baithuti ba kwala ditlhatlhobo

2.Past tense: Paka e e fetileng
    e.g The students have written their exams: Baithuti ba kwadile ditlhatlhobo

1. Future tense: Paka e e tlang
      e.g The students will write their exams: Baithuthi ba tlaa kwala ditlhatlhobo tsa bone

4.Past perfect tense: Paka pheti
    e.g The students have written their exams: Baithuti ba ne ba kwala ditlhatlhobo tsa bone

these are just tenses and example sentenses. do you know the difference between past tense and past perfect tense @KennedyMlay ?

• @klillian_oats135 , please help me explain tenses in detail when you get a minute. Ke kopa gore o leke go di tlhalosa ka Sekgoa ka gore @KennedyMlay ga a itse setswana mme o batla go tlhaloganya. Please comment on the examples i gave and see if they make sense to explain them in English. Ke a leboga @klillian_oats135

• edited June 2017

Hello @Warona_Makafu
    Surely I know the difference between past tense and past perfect tense
    Thanks for those few examples but you really need to keep me well informed to know more about tenses.

• edited June 2017

To learn a new language is not that easy my dear it really needs sound and conducive environment ready for learning it in a sense that there must some teaching aid materials like story books, dictionary with audio pronunciation and teacher.

• The big problem that we face here is the distance and location we are not living near each other @Warona_Makafu @Simone I'm so grateful you try the best you can to help me learn it, Setswana is really tough to sound vocabularies is a challenge to me

• @Warona_Makafu please help me to deliver my greetings to @Simone .

• Thanks good people. lets start with the present tense (Paka jaanong) -whatever you speak in the present tense means it is happening at that very moment you are speaking. examples may include: ke a ja- i am eating; Ke a bua - i am talking, ke a lela -i am crying, Ke a robala - i am sleeping. There is a letter that shows us this is a present tense. that letter appears in all present tense sentences and it is 'a'.

• As usual, I'm late for the discussions, but Ke a leboga, everyone participating here! :)
    (@KennedyMlay, greetings received and the same to you - great discussion you started!)

I love the idea of an article - how about one focusing on tricky cases for every tense?
    @klillian_oats135, would your students maybe like to add a case/tense example that they find difficult?
    In this way we can crowd-source a number of 'problem uses' for each tense, and have enough for a community written article.
    Just an idea :)

• @KennedyMlay happy new year. I believe you are well.
    @klillian_oats135 , how about that article, A o tlaa kgona go e baakanya? a ke ka thusa ka sengwe?