As you are probably aware, our contemporary English content is now available through (, and our old English dictionary site no longer exists.

As a result of this, this forum is now closed.

The English dictionary community team would like the opportunity to say a huge thanks to all of you who participated by posting questions and helping other community members.
We hope this forum was useful, and that you enjoyed being a part of it.

If you would like to get in touch with any OED-related queries, please write to
[email protected]

And if you would like to contribute suggestions to the OED, please do so by visiting:

Thank you very much indeed, and good bye!
The community team

what is the category of "ID, driving license, passport" as a procedure??

what is the category of "ID, driving license, passport" as a procedure??
Is it Personal status? or is it civil services? or is it civil proceedings? or there is another word?


  • A document is not a procedure. A driving licence or a passport may be a proof of status or proof of identity. ID is a deliberately vague term, which sometimes refers to a document.

    Personal status doesn't really mean anything. Do you mean identity?

    Civil service (not services) means 'state administration'.

    Civil proceedings means 'court cases which are not criminal'.

  • Thank you. I know the meaning of proof of identity, my question is: what are these documents called in general; for example, if my job is to extract IDs for other people, what would my job be categorized? is the name of the field.
    I'll give you an example. I am a structure engineer, so my field of working is construction. from the same perspective, if I work in an office to extract IDs, so my field of working is...………

    can you continue??

    is it one of the names that I mentioned beforehand? or there other names.


  • 'Documents in general' are called documentation.

    A 'field of working' is expressed by a phrase based on a verbal noun such as confirmation of identity or establishment of identity. You could perhaps use the single word identification if the context made clear what you meant.

  • No this is not what I am looking for. I would like you to tell me what could be the name of the office that issue the ID, or driving license and other staff like that?

  • From an issuing point of view a driving licence and a passport are completely different documents with completely distinct functions and purposes. And ID is meaningless.

    It's only for verification that these things come comparable.

  • DavidCrosbieDavidCrosbie ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

    When i said

    And ID is meaningless.

    I meant that the term has no official meaning. Nobody issues anything which is termed 'ID'.

    When someone says, 'Do you have any ID?', they mean 'Do you have a document which proves your identity to my satisfaction, for present purposes?'

    At many times and for many purposes, a passport or a driving licence will count as ID. At other times only a particular document issued by an organisation will do. Sometimes it's enough to show a receipt for Council Tax or a bill with your name on it — together with an envelope addressed to you.

    What you need to realise that Britain does not have identity cards. Nor do other major English-speaking countries. There was a plan to introduce identity cards in Britain. I'm not sure they got as far as planning what office would be responsible for issuing them.

    I suspect that the concept for which you are seeking a word exists in your country but not in Britain or America or any English-speaking country that I'm familiar with.

  • buddy, you are not answering the question I asked, I know the difference between identity and passport what I was asking about was the name of the field or administration that is responsible for issuing such documents. anyway, I have found it, it is "civil affairs", so you can say I work in civil affairs. anyway, Thanks.

  • @hwaddah67, there is no such concept as a civil affairs in Britain. Nor, I think, is the term used in America or any other English-speaking country that I know about.

    If you write to English speakers outside your country, you will have to explain the meaning of the term.

    so you can say I work in civil affairs

    Not if you expect people outside your country to understand you.

    buddy, you are not answering the question ... what I was asking about was the name of the field or administration that is responsible for issuing such documents

    Yes, and I did answer you. There is no such field of administration in English-speaking countries.

    It follows that there is no term for it in English.

    Of course, there's nothing wrong in inventing English terms for local objects, institutions etc. But you must remember that these words may not be understood in the rest of the word.

Sign In or Register to comment.