How to refer to floor different from ground floor

Non-native English speaker here.
As I understand it, the word "floor" refers to all floors in the building, including the ground floor.
How do you refer in English to the floors above the ground floor?
Here is a picture of what I mean:

Thank you!



  • The upper floors.

  • in UK style, it would be G/F , 1/F, 2/F, 3/F etc
    in US style, it would be 1/F, 2/F, 3/F, 4/F etc

  • Yes, @haydie, but I think the upper floors is appropriate for both styles.

  • there are more than one question marks in the pic, refering to different floors, so I have a feeling that he/she is asking about the famuos question of UK vs US style

  • I take your point, @haydie.

    Perhaps we should add that there's a recent tendency in large modern buildings such as hotels for a partial floor between (British style) Ground Floor and First Floor — named Mezzanine.

    There's also some uncertainty in naming floors below (British style) Ground Floor. In large public buildings, the floor immediately below is sometimes called Basement, sometimes Lower Ground Floor.

Sign In or Register to comment.