As you are probably aware, our contemporary English content is now available through (, and our old English dictionary site no longer exists.

As a result of this, this forum is now closed.

The English dictionary community team would like the opportunity to say a huge thanks to all of you who participated by posting questions and helping other community members.
We hope this forum was useful, and that you enjoyed being a part of it.

If you would like to get in touch with any OED-related queries, please write to
[email protected]

And if you would like to contribute suggestions to the OED, please do so by visiting:

Thank you very much indeed, and good bye!
The community team

Please help me to translate university department correctly

edited October 2018 in Translation

Hi everyone!

I work in a Russian university and I need to correctly translate the names of the university departments. One of our oldest departments (since 1943) is called Автотракторный or Department of Automobiles and Tractors and they teach the design and development of different vehicles, including tractors. Can I name this department Department of Automotive Engineering? Does 'automotive' include the study of tractors? I was thinking about Department of Automotive and Agricultural Engineering, but the head of the department doesn't like the agricultural part... Please, help me to find the right type of engineering that includes various vehicles, including tractors (vehicle engineering is not common in European universities).


Sign In or Register to comment.