As you are probably aware, our contemporary English content is now available through Lexico.com (https://www.lexico.com/en), and our old English dictionary site no longer exists.

As a result of this, this forum is now closed.

The English dictionary community team would like the opportunity to say a huge thanks to all of you who participated by posting questions and helping other community members.
We hope this forum was useful, and that you enjoyed being a part of it.

If you would like to get in touch with any OED-related queries, please write to
[email protected]

And if you would like to contribute suggestions to the OED, please do so by visiting: https://public.oed.com/contribute-to-the-oed/

Thank you very much indeed, and good bye!
The community team

Laundered

Does the word 'laundered' when referring to garments that have been cleaned in some way always imply washing with water (and perhaps some kind of detergent)?

Comments

• I think the basic meaning applied to bed-linen and covered not only washing but bleaching, starching and ironing. The primary meaning in the OED is

To wash and ‘get up’ (linen).

With difficulty I located their definition of get up in this sense:

To make (linen or other clothing) ready for wearing. Now rare (chiefly hist.).

This is possibly the idea behind this use of the noun get up:

A style or arrangement of dress, especially an elaborate or unusual one.

As I understand the word nowadays, it can still mean 'processed in a laundry', but it can also mean more generally (of clothes) 'washed by somebody else'. If I washed something myself, I would call it washed, not laundered.

Also, I think the sense of 'make ready for wearing' survives. I don't think we'd describe anything as 'laundered' if it was still wet, or so badly creased as to need ironing, or if it needed minor sewing repairs.

I can't think of any context in which I'd refer to something dry-cleaned as 'laundered'.

The only catch-all word I can think of is valeted, but this is more often used of cars than clothing. I think I'd used the phrase washed or cleaned.