As you are probably aware, our contemporary English content is now available through Lexico.com (https://www.lexico.com/en), and our old English dictionary site no longer exists.

As a result of this, this forum is now closed.

The English dictionary community team would like the opportunity to say a huge thanks to all of you who participated by posting questions and helping other community members.
We hope this forum was useful, and that you enjoyed being a part of it.

If you would like to get in touch with any OED-related queries, please write to
[email protected]

And if you would like to contribute suggestions to the OED, please do so by visiting: https://public.oed.com/contribute-to-the-oed/

Thank you very much indeed, and good bye!
The community team

Good, fair, or poor sentence?

Hello fellows,

I came across this sentence which makes no sense to me, but I'm not sure why. My colleague claims to understand completely but was unable to explain.

Does this sentence have logic for you?

"In writing this chapter I realized that persistence, determination, and faith comes in all forms of our lives."

The second half is what throws me. What is "all forms" referring to? Persistence, determination, and faith do not have forms. Neither do our lives. Would this sentence make sense and possibly be closer to the authors intended meaning is "forms" were replaced with "parts"?

Thank you

Comments

• DavidCrosbieDavidCrosbie ✭✭✭

@tsights260

The form comes is also a problem.

Since the author has failed to communicate his/her meaning in this sentence, your only hope is to read the rest of the chapter — including the text before this sentence.

Then try to answer:

• What is his/her attitude to persistence, determination and faith?
    • Does he/she give any examples?
    • In what way does he/she describe a life as not being simple?
    • Does he/she describe people's lives from different viewpoints?
    • Why did he/she write the chapter?
    • Is there any sign that he/she changed his/her opinion while writing?