As you are probably aware, our contemporary English content is now available through Lexico.com (https://www.lexico.com/en), and our old English dictionary site no longer exists.

As a result of this, this forum is now closed.

The English dictionary community team would like the opportunity to say a huge thanks to all of you who participated by posting questions and helping other community members.
We hope this forum was useful, and that you enjoyed being a part of it.

If you would like to get in touch with any OED-related queries, please write to
[email protected]

And if you would like to contribute suggestions to the OED, please do so by visiting: https://public.oed.com/contribute-to-the-oed/

Thank you very much indeed, and good bye!
The community team

Which would be the correct usage of the possessive case in this sentence?

Of the following, which is standard?

"…all to us onlookers' grave disconcertion."
or
"…all to we onlookers' grave disconcertion."

It seems to fall into something of a grey area, since the possessive "onlookers'" is an appositive to "we/us." I know that when a possessive has an appositive, the appositive actually takes the possessive form, but I don't know what case the other word should take. The first sounds better to me, but I'd love to hear what you think. Thank you so much!

Comments

• DavidCrosbieDavidCrosbie ✭✭✭

@timperkin9

• The possessive of we is our.
    • The written possessive of onlookers is onlookers'. (In speech they are identical.)
    • The possessive of we onlookers is of us onlookers.

The noun you want is consternation.

There are restrictions on when we use the possessive form of nouns rather than a phrase with of.

• We use the possessive much more when the noun refers to a human, and much less when the noun refers to a thing.
    • We seldom if ever use a possessive for more than one word.

So the only way I can think of to express what you mean is

all to the consternation of us onlookers

• Thank you for your help!