As you are probably aware, our contemporary English content is now available through Lexico.com (https://www.lexico.com/en), and our old English dictionary site no longer exists.

As a result of this, this forum is now closed.

The English dictionary community team would like the opportunity to say a huge thanks to all of you who participated by posting questions and helping other community members.
We hope this forum was useful, and that you enjoyed being a part of it.

If you would like to get in touch with any OED-related queries, please write to
[email protected]

And if you would like to contribute suggestions to the OED, please do so by visiting: https://public.oed.com/contribute-to-the-oed/

Thank you very much indeed, and good bye!
The community team

How do the native people understand the words such as way (method (the particular way ...) ...)?

Hi all,

I am trying to understand English in English for learning computer science but unfortunately English is not my first language. One of the cases that I always meet is the definition/word pointed to another and the other pointed to the first word again. What should I do? The following words that I found in my 8th Oxford advanced learner's dictionary.

Way
Noun

METHOD/STYLE

1 [Countable] a method, style or manner of doing something

Method
Noun
1 [Countable] a particular way of doing something

Best Answers

• lb_c119lb_c119
    Accepted Answer

I think no one will answer the question, so that I vote for closing the thread/question.

• DavidCrosbieDavidCrosbie ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

@lb_c119, the key word is particular.

Look at the definitions in the online dictionary on this website.
    Click on the word DICTIONARY in white letters on blue in the top left of the page.

For each word, click on —More example sentences.
    You'll see that way and method are used quite differently.

Answers

• Thank you very much, Mr. David Crosbie! I have tried to use your idea of using the adjectives to track the words/definitions like way which I could not find out the exact meaning.

Finally, I think that the words/definitions based on their examples so that I only have one thing to do that is practice and practice as the native people.