As you are probably aware, our contemporary English content is now available through (, and our old English dictionary site no longer exists.

As a result of this, this forum is now closed.

The English dictionary community team would like the opportunity to say a huge thanks to all of you who participated by posting questions and helping other community members.
We hope this forum was useful, and that you enjoyed being a part of it.

If you would like to get in touch with any OED-related queries, please write to
[email protected]

And if you would like to contribute suggestions to the OED, please do so by visiting:

Thank you very much indeed, and good bye!
The community team

A long-bearded man OR A long beard man, which one is correct and why?

We say in English: A man with a long beard (post modifier), now to use pre-modifier, we say:
A long-bearded man OR A long-beard man ... which one is correct: bearded or beard? Also, what do we call using this form of adjective (by adding ed to the noun as in bearded) ?


  • @shaddad443, If I heard or saw
    a long beard man
    I would take it to mean
    'a man who specialises in long beards'.
    I would then try to make sense of it — a specialist hairdresser, perhaps.

    Bearded is one of countless words where NOUN + SUFFIX produces an ADJECTIVE with a regular meaning.
    It wouldn't be at all, helpful to have a term for each of these many many patterns of word-formation.

    NOUN + -ed is tricky.
    It's OK with beard because it's so obviously a noun, not a verb.
    But there are words like seed which can be a noun, but also a verb meaning 'removed the seeds'.
    So seeded grapes could mean 'grapes with seeds removed' — although it more often means 'grapes with seeds'.
    Worse, seed can be a verb meaning 'sort out the best' — as in a sports competition.
    The person sorted is seeded.
    But then we make a noun from the verb and term that person a seed.

    I think it's more common to add -ed to a phrase like long beard than to a single noun.

Sign In or Register to comment.