As you are probably aware, our contemporary English content is now available through Lexico.com (https://www.lexico.com/en), and our old English dictionary site no longer exists.

As a result of this, this forum is now closed.

The English dictionary community team would like the opportunity to say a huge thanks to all of you who participated by posting questions and helping other community members.
We hope this forum was useful, and that you enjoyed being a part of it.

If you would like to get in touch with any OED-related queries, please write to
[email protected]

And if you would like to contribute suggestions to the OED, please do so by visiting: https://public.oed.com/contribute-to-the-oed/

Thank you very much indeed, and good bye!
The community team

Infinite without the preposition "'to"

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here.
I'm studying English by my self, and sometimes it's hard to understand some grammar rule.

For example, have a look the following sentence:
"Everybody wants to save the Earth; nobody wants to help Mom do the dishes."

Why does it says " help Mom do the dishes" and not help Mom to do the dishes"
Why there is not the preposition "to"?

Thanks to anyone will help me to understand the reason why this sentence is correct. If it is...

Regards,
Ledung

Comments

• @Ledung, English has two infinitives: the TO -INFINITIVE and the BARE INFINITIVE.

The BARE INFINITIVE is more common than people realise.

• An important set of verbs can be followed only by the bare infinitive.
      will go, would go, shall go, should go, can go, could go, may go, might go, must go

• Two verbs are sometimes followed by the bare infinitive and sometimes by the to-infinitive.
      dare go/ dare to go, need go/need to go

• The CONTRACTED NEGATIVE forms can be followed only by the bare infinitive.
      daren't go, needn't go but NOT daren't to go, needn't to go

• Three two-word verbs are followed by the bare infinitive
      had better go, would rather go, would sooner go

• The verb do is followed by the bare infinitive when it's used as an AUXIALIARY
      Does he go? He doesn't go, Doesn't he go? Please don't go. Please do go.

• Some verbs of perception can be followed by an OBJECT and a bare infinitive
      see him go, hear him go, watch him go, observe him go, notice him go, feel him go
      The can also be followed by an -ing form to indicate something in progress
      see him going, hear him going, watch him going, observe him going, notice him going, feel him going
      When they have this meaning, they are NOT followed by a to- infinitive
      see him to go, hear him to go, watch him to go, observe him to go, notice him to go, feel him go

• A few verbs can be followed by a bare infinitive when they express permission or compulsion or requestiong
      let him come, make him come, have him come, bid him come

• The verb help may be followed by an OBJECT and a bare infinitive — although other constructions are possible
      help him go
      Less often, help without an OBJECT may be followed by a bare infinitive
      Will you help wash the dishes?

These uses after verbs are less common

• In American English the verbs come and go may be followed by a bare infinitive
      Come see me, Go figure

• In British English, have known may be followed by a bare infinitive meaning 'has happened in my experience'
      I've known him go

There are also some uses which are NOT because the bare infinitive is after a particular verb.
    Here are two examples

• Everybody wants to save the Earth rather than worry about their homes.
    • What everybody wants to do is save the Earth.
  • Hi,

Thanks for your answer.
    Infinite and Gerund, have confused me a lot.