As you are probably aware, our contemporary English content is now available through (, and our old English dictionary site no longer exists.

As a result of this, this forum is now closed.

The English dictionary community team would like the opportunity to say a huge thanks to all of you who participated by posting questions and helping other community members.
We hope this forum was useful, and that you enjoyed being a part of it.

If you would like to get in touch with any OED-related queries, please write to
[email protected]

And if you would like to contribute suggestions to the OED, please do so by visiting:

Thank you very much indeed, and good bye!
The community team

Interface vs Interphase

My colleagues do not agree on the use of interface for liquid-liquid separation processes despite of being the right word as it is defined in English dictionaries. They reckon that 'interphase' is a common word for these issues in many scientific papers.
I would like to know what is the most appropriate use or if there is a former example with other couple of words where official definition does not suit with the common use.
Thanks in advance.

Sign In or Register to comment.