As you are probably aware, our contemporary English content is now available through Lexico.com (https://www.lexico.com/en), and our old English dictionary site no longer exists.

As a result of this, this forum is now closed.

The English dictionary community team would like the opportunity to say a huge thanks to all of you who participated by posting questions and helping other community members.
We hope this forum was useful, and that you enjoyed being a part of it.

If you would like to get in touch with any OED-related queries, please write to
[email protected]

And if you would like to contribute suggestions to the OED, please do so by visiting: https://public.oed.com/contribute-to-the-oed/

Thank you very much indeed, and good bye!
The community team

I'm stuck with this. Can someone help please?

Hey altogether,

unfortunately I'm stick with the following sentence and how it is grammatically correct:

Chloroplasts are essential for the plant's viability.

Is this correct? It sounds right but I'm not too sure when it comes to constructions like this.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• @cholle89, the only grammatical feature that looks at all unusual is the us of definite the.

It would be perfectly normal to write:
    Chloroplasts are essential for viability.
    And we could make it more specific:
    Chloroplasts are essential for the viability of X.

But what is X?

• Possibly, but unlikely, X= 'the plant that we're writing about'.
    • More likely X = 'the generality of plants'
      This may be expressed in English by any of these generic uses:
      • plants
      • a plant
      • the plant
  • @DavidCrosbie said:
    @cholle89, the only grammatical feature that looks at all unusual is the us of definite the.

It would be perfectly normal to write:
    Chloroplasts are essential for viability.
    And we could make it more specific:

But what is X?

• Possibly, but unlikely, X= 'the plant that we're writing about'.
    • More likely X = 'the generality of plants'
      This may be expressed in English by any of these generic uses:
      • plants
      • a plant
      • the plant

Hey David,

Thanks for your answer!

In this case X is 'the generality of plants', which you have already detected.

So, the best strategy according to you would be to reorganize the sentence and put the object (plants/a plant/the plant) at the end of the sentence, correct?

• So, the best strategy according to you would be to reorganize the sentence and put the object (plants/a plant/the plant) at the end of the sentence, correct?

Not necessarily.

I chose to write
    because I thought it helped the explanation of the grammar.
    The point to be explained isn't the before viability but rather the before plant.

But I don't think there's anything wrong with
    Chloroplasts are essential for X's viability.

It's all a matter of what sounds right.
    I'm happy with the original
    Chloroplasts are essential for the plant's viability.
    And it also sounds OK to say
    Chloroplasts are essential for a plant's viability.

The other possibility is grammatical but sounds rather awkward
    Chloroplasts are essential for plants' viability.

POSSESSIVE forms written 's or s' are not always acceptable with NOUNS that denote things rather than people.
    So it's always safe to use of.
    But in this case it's also quite acceptable to write the plant's viability or a plant's viability.

• **Maybe someone can help with my summary of bachelor's project summary? **

Multilayer barrier films are widely applicable, chemically inert, show relatively high strength and environmental resistance, and lower the migration of materials between the product and the environment. Modern barrier films help to preserve thermally or chemically processed food for the longer periods of time, maintain unchanged quality, enable products to be packaged in small quantities, ensure high packing speed, do not contaminate food and are safe for human and animal health. The production of films is relatively low in energy and natural resources.
    The final bachelor’s thesis consists of 53 pages. It contains 18 tables, 13 pictures and 2 drawings. The seven-layer barrier film production line is designed in this final bachelor’s thesis. Tasks which are accomplished in this thesis: the analysis of literature which is related to the topic, the selection of technology and required equipment, analysis of them, the description of the technological line, the selection of raw materials and formulation of them for the seven-layer barrier film, the technological and engineering calculations of the production line, the heat and mass balances of the extruder, the costs of electricity, the drawings of the technology line and the main unit, the analysis of health and hazardous factors that can occur in the work environment, the selection of personal and collective safety equipment, the rules of the safety work.

I don't actually know how to use "the" and other stuff.