As you are probably aware, our contemporary English content is now available through Lexico.com (https://www.lexico.com/en), and our old English dictionary site no longer exists.

As a result of this, this forum is now closed.

The English dictionary community team would like the opportunity to say a huge thanks to all of you who participated by posting questions and helping other community members.
We hope this forum was useful, and that you enjoyed being a part of it.

If you would like to get in touch with any OED-related queries, please write to
[email protected]

And if you would like to contribute suggestions to the OED, please do so by visiting: https://public.oed.com/contribute-to-the-oed/

Thank you very much indeed, and good bye!
The community team

Me either, Me too

I have seen this piece of poem, however, I cannot tell why the phrase "me either" has been used.
Also I need to know the meaning as I am baffled by the mentioned phrase.

"Sky's crying,
me either...
call that rain
Call me pain"

Is it sky is crying, and I am crying too , or
The sky is crying, but I am not crying ( because I am so patient....) ?

Thank you.

Answers

• The poet leaves it for the reader to interpret. Here's how I read it. Others may read it quite differently.

Sky's crying,
    me

I take this to mean that somebody else says the sky is crying, and that the poet will say what he or she thinks.

either...

The poet has deliberately omitted the words that would make this grammatical and informative.
    My reading is that either is not introducing two alternatives that will be expressed.
    Rather (as I read it) it's tagged on to two expressions that have already been made.
    Either is used to follow two negative statements. So what could they be?

• I take me either to imply 'I don't either'.
    • The preceding negative statement would have to be 'X doesn't'.
      So who is X and what don't they do? This depends on how you read the next lines.

call that rain

Rightly or wrongly, I read this as a challenging denial.
    Alternatively, it could mean 'Call this weather condition rain and don't call it anything else'.

Call me pain

The capital letter suggests to me that this line — unlike the precious two — marks a break, a new idea.
    Rightly or wrongly, I read this as 'Never mind all that sky and rain business. It's me that's in pain'.

On the basis of these reading, I take the unexpressed idea between lines 1 and 2 to be 'You, reader, don't think that the sky is crying'

• Thank you @DavidCrosbie , I liked it , and this is very insightful.

• I googled the last two lines. The only results were largely in Arabic script. The ones I looked at were in Farsi. Could the texts be a song lyric composed in English by an Iranian?