As you are probably aware, our contemporary English content is now available through Lexico.com (https://www.lexico.com/en), and our old English dictionary site no longer exists.

As a result of this, this forum is now closed.

The English dictionary community team would like the opportunity to say a huge thanks to all of you who participated by posting questions and helping other community members.
We hope this forum was useful, and that you enjoyed being a part of it.

If you would like to get in touch with any OED-related queries, please write to
[email protected]

And if you would like to contribute suggestions to the OED, please do so by visiting: https://public.oed.com/contribute-to-the-oed/

Thank you very much indeed, and good bye!
The community team

Passive voice

Hi
Is the following test correct, either from point of structure or its options?

Where is my bike? I think it may ----------------.
a. steal
b. stolen
c. been stolen
d. be stolen

Comments

• @MohammadReza, the way to find out is to test the test. Get a number of students (the more, the better) at the appropriate level to answer.

The test will fail

• if everybody chooses the right answer
      or

• if everybody chooses the wrong answer

Each distractor (wrong answers) will fail if nobody chooses it.

I suspect the distractors may be appropriate for learners with one first language but inappropriate for speakers of another language.

If one distractor is obviously wrong, it makes the test item easier. If two distractors are obviously wrong, the item is easier still. If three distractors are obviously wrong, the item is useless.

• There's another way to test a test.

Give the test to a class of students with a teacher who knows them well. Get the teacher to rank the students i.e. put them in order from strongest to the weakest.

If your test is a good one, the strongest students should pass and the weakest students should fail.