As you are probably aware, our contemporary English content is now available through Lexico.com (https://www.lexico.com/en), and our old English dictionary site no longer exists.

As a result of this, this forum is now closed.

The English dictionary community team would like the opportunity to say a huge thanks to all of you who participated by posting questions and helping other community members.
We hope this forum was useful, and that you enjoyed being a part of it.

If you would like to get in touch with any OED-related queries, please write to
[email protected]

And if you would like to contribute suggestions to the OED, please do so by visiting: https://public.oed.com/contribute-to-the-oed/

Thank you very much indeed, and good bye!
The community team

Commas WITHIN subordinate clauses

I'm aware of the rules regarding punctuation before subordinate clauses, but want to double check on the rules regarding commas within subordinate clauses. Specifically, when the subordinate clause contains two independent clauses within it, should you use a comma before the conjunction or no?
Specific example:
Amanda writes that she received Johanna's letters, and she will now forward them to Kate.
OR
Amanda writes that she received Johanna's letters and she will now forward them to Kate.

In both cases, the portions refer to what Amanda is writing that she will do, not what Amanda is doing (if that makes sense).

Or is it required that I re-use the relative pronoun in this case?
Amanda writes that she received Johanna's letters and that she will now forward them to Kate.

Comments

• DavidCrosbieDavidCrosbie ✭✭✭

I don't think there are any rules concerning punctuation before subordinate clauses, @pizzollo.

There is a very general rule that we don't place a comma between a VERB and its OBJECT. In English this is taken to include INDIRECT SPEECH. In your sentence:

• writes is the VERB
    • that she received Johanna's letters is its OBJECT

The problem with your sentence is that the words could mean
    either
    'she writes that she will now forward them to Kate'
    or
    'I can tell you that she will now forward them to Kate'
    Punctuation can't remove the ambiguity.

I wouldn't use the word 'required', but I do think it's clearer to write
    Amanda writes that she received Johanna's letters, and that she will now forward them to Kate.