As you are probably aware, our contemporary English content is now available through (, and our old English dictionary site no longer exists.

As a result of this, this forum is now closed.

The English dictionary community team would like the opportunity to say a huge thanks to all of you who participated by posting questions and helping other community members.
We hope this forum was useful, and that you enjoyed being a part of it.

If you would like to get in touch with any OED-related queries, please write to
[email protected]

And if you would like to contribute suggestions to the OED, please do so by visiting:

Thank you very much indeed, and good bye!
The community team


I remember my grandfather using the phrase 'give it a good thrutch lad'. This generally meant to hit something hard with a hammer or give it a good push when working on some project or other. This isn't a definition I have come across anywhere in a dictionary and I wonder if others have encountered it or can remember it? My grandfather worked in South Lancashire having been born in North Cheshire (the areas that later became parts of Merseyside and Greater Manchester) in 1906. Another word he often used was 'fettle' in the sense of fixing something which is in some dictionaries. I doubt if my grandfather was alone in this use and other members of my family also used the phrase; I do too but it tends to get a quizzical look!


Sign In or Register to comment.