Words which are tricky to pronounce

joughtredjoughtred admin
edited November 2017 in Spelling and pronunciation

Hello everyone!

We thought you might like to take a look at these posts from our blog on words which are notoriously difficult to pronounce:

10 tricky pronunciations
6 words everyone pronounces wrong

What do you think? Are these words that you have stumbled over yourself, or are there others that you find trickier?

I love reading and often get tripped up by words which I have read but never heard spoken out loud. 'Byzantine' is one.

Comments

• SimoneSimone admin
    edited November 2017

This is very interesting, @joughtred!

I think there are words universally difficult to pronounce, and some that you will find more or less difficult depending on what your mother tongue is.
    As a native speaker of Portuguese, I've always found anything with TH/O very hard - to pronounce and to spell!
    So navigating my way through words like although, though, throughout, tough, thought - and through itself - was always confusing!

Anyone out there feels the same?
    What would be your pronunciation nightmares?

• Yes I do agree there are such words.not very easy to pronounce.example : coincidence, turquoise..

• I also struggle with 'dachshund' and use 'sausage dog' instead :)

• Interesting how many of these words are of foreign origin when there are plenty of English words, especially proper nouns such as the surnames "Cholmondeley" and "Mainwaring", and place names such as "Gloucester" and "Loughborough".

However, my favourite (being of Dutch extraction) is the Dutch seaside town of "Scheveningen" which is almost guaranteed to stump any non-Dutch speaker.