Amount of force

Would the phrase 'The amount of force required to break through the door...' be correct?

Or 'The amount of force required for a sharp object to penetrate the protective glove'?

• DavidCrosbieDavidCrosbie ✭✭✭

There are some strange prejudices against the word amount — which I don't share.

I dislike the concept of a word being 'correct'. For me it's either appropriate in its context or inappropriate.

I see nothing inappropriate in the wording amount of force. if you're not happy with it, you could use degree of force.

I'm not sure that the word required is always appropriate — for me, it's a rather formal word — but I think it's OK here.

On reflection, I'm not so sure about your second sentence. It almost suggests that it's desirable to penetrate the protective glove. In speech I would prefer the degree of force it would take.

• edited March 6

Thank you again.

I think 'amount of force' is indeed OK in the context in which I'm using it. Now, it concerns a test conducted on the glove, and what is measured is the amount of force 'required' for a certain object to penetrate the material. I see where you are coming from with your hesitancy regarding the word 'required', but I'm not sure it would be a problem in this particular context. I may well be wrong though!!!

• DavidCrosbieDavidCrosbie ✭✭✭

The focus of the process is to test the glove, not to make a measurement. I would be happier if you wrote of discovering or establishing the resistance to ... or the threshold at which ...

Alternatively, the amount of force that would be needed before ...