As you are probably aware, our contemporary English content is now available through (, and our old English dictionary site no longer exists.

As a result of this, this forum is now closed.

The English dictionary community team would like the opportunity to say a huge thanks to all of you who participated by posting questions and helping other community members.
We hope this forum was useful, and that you enjoyed being a part of it.

If you would like to get in touch with any OED-related queries, please write to
[email protected]

And if you would like to contribute suggestions to the OED, please do so by visiting:

Thank you very much indeed, and good bye!
The community team

Words used to describe a string of electrical lights in British English

Can you tell me some different words for a string of electrical lights/ electrical cable with lights attached, either with or without decorations, in British English? Not necessarily for a Christmas tree. Also, what is the American English equivalent? Thanks!


  • A string of lights is about as close as I can think of but, while it implies that they are all connected, that need not necessarily be the case providing that they are arranged more or less linearly (e.g. you might describe the illuminations of a fishing fleet on the horizon as a string of lights).

  • The term festoon is also used. You'd have to say festoon lights unless it was obvious from the context that you didn't mean a festoon made of flowers or some other decoration.

    I think you can also say a festoon of lights, just as you can say a string of lights.

  • Thanks for the help guys!

  • Hi @temcw. I would also say fairy lights, if the lights are very small.

Sign In or Register to comment.