As you are probably aware, our contemporary English content is now available through Lexico.com (https://www.lexico.com/en), and our old English dictionary site no longer exists.

As a result of this, this forum is now closed.

The English dictionary community team would like the opportunity to say a huge thanks to all of you who participated by posting questions and helping other community members.
We hope this forum was useful, and that you enjoyed being a part of it.

If you would like to get in touch with any OED-related queries, please write to
[email protected]

And if you would like to contribute suggestions to the OED, please do so by visiting: https://public.oed.com/contribute-to-the-oed/

Thank you very much indeed, and good bye!
The community team

Does a word exist for this? Any help given would be appreciated greatly.

Hi,

New here, registered just now for a specific reason and would like to know if anyone can help.

I'm trying to find a word which has a specific meaning:

The meaning, in my mind, is this:

"Something (a statement, concept, action or even a physical object) which, upon a first (or casual) view/hearing/thought, appears to seem plausible/logical/sound/acceptable/true/good quality, or otherwise to be in one state of affairs - and perhaps is generally / blindly accepted as being so by a large number (or a majority) - BUT - that on closer inspection/examination/thought/analysis/testing is, in fact, found to be far less plausible/logical/sound/acceptable/true/good quality than first thought - and, furthermore, the state of affairs of this 'something' that was assessed or assumed initially upon the first or casual introduction, now appears to be in the exact opposite state of affairs, (upon this closer inspection/examination/thought/analysis/testing)."

I believe the above concept / meaning to be fundamentally different from, for example, a 'non sequitur' or simply 'false'.

I define this word (which I am hoping to find) as describing something that most people will assume to be accurate, and will generally agree with, but when one looks closer it is actually 'less' true or not true at all.

I have tried to come up with some examples, to help. Please understand these are EXAMPLES only as vehicles in my attempt to find the correct word, and the specific content or the whys and wherefores or individuals' opinions on the examples are neither here nor there, nor are they in fact related to my specific use-case for the word (although they follow the same structure):

Example 1:
Premise: "All politicians are liars."

Upon a subjective and scientifically sound analysis, it was later found that not all politicians were liars. And, that, in fact, evidence surfaces to show that, contrary to the initial assumption or belief, most politicians in fact were found to tell the truth.

Example 2:
Premise: "Women are paid less and treated less fairly than men."

Upon a subjective and scientifically sound analysis, it was later found that not all women are paid less and treated less fairly than men. And, that, in fact, evidence surfaces to show that, contrary to the initial assumption or belief, most women were, in fact, found to be be paid more, and given higher priority than, men.

Example 3:
Premise: "Ryanair is always late"

Upon a subjective and scientifically sound analysis, it was later found that not all Ryanair flights were always late. And, that, in fact, evidence surfaces to show that, contrary to the initial assumption or belief, most Ryanair flights were, in fact, found to be on time, most of the time.

Background: I have been considering writing something (some kind of 'blog' post) - mostly for me but others may wish to read it too, and I need a simple word or praise which conveys this meaning. If it exists already - fantastic - otherwise I'm going to need to 'invent' something suitable. Something which is more specific than simply 'false'. Something that deals with the initial assumption or belief, and then the subsequent revelation or discovery of the contrary position.

I am not an academic or a writer, nor do I have a particularly large vocabulary so please excuse me if the word in question does exist, and should have been obvious to me. Thank-you for your time.

S

Comments