As you are probably aware, our contemporary English content is now available through Lexico.com (https://www.lexico.com/en), and our old English dictionary site no longer exists.

As a result of this, this forum will be closed by 6th September.
We have already disabled new threads, but comments can still be posted on existing discussions to give a chance for outstanding questions to be answered.

The English dictionary community team would like the opportunity to say a huge thanks to all of you who have participated by posting questions and helping other community members.
We hope this forum has been useful, and that you have enjoyed being a part of it.

If you would like to get in touch with any OED-related queries, please write to
[email protected]

And if you would like to contribute suggestions to the OED, please do so by visiting: https://public.oed.com/contribute-to-the-oed/

Thank you very much indeed, and good bye!
The community team

question about 'as much as'

Does the sentence 'Your body stores energy as much as you need' have the exact same meaning to 'Your body stores as much energy as you need'? I need some help from the native speakers with regard to a writing question in my class. Thank you for your help.

Comments

• @HailieJade, on the basis of its grammar, much can be seen as two different words:

1. a QUANTIFIER
    2. an ADVERB

QUANTIFIERS such as _much, little, many ... _ are used before NOUNS in the same way as we use ARTICLES, DEMONSTRATIVES and POSSESSIVES

• much energy
    • the energy
    • that energy
    • her energy

These QUANTIFIERS can be extended to form COMPARATIVE PHRASES

• as few as
    • as much as

ADVERBS combine with CLAUSES

• I haven't travelled much

The also combine with other words to make ADVERBIAL PHRASES

• I haven't travelled very much

A COMPARATIVE PHASE can combine with an ADVERB and a CLAUSE to make an ADVERBIAL CLAUSE

• You may do it as often as you like
    • They came as quickly as they could
    • Your body stores energy as much as you need

In your examples you get the same meaning from

• much energy — QUANTIFIER
    • as much as you need — COMPARATIVE ADVERBIAL