As you are probably aware, our contemporary English content is now available through (, and our old English dictionary site no longer exists.

As a result of this, this forum is now closed.

The English dictionary community team would like the opportunity to say a huge thanks to all of you who participated by posting questions and helping other community members.
We hope this forum was useful, and that you enjoyed being a part of it.

If you would like to get in touch with any OED-related queries, please write to
[email protected]

And if you would like to contribute suggestions to the OED, please do so by visiting:

Thank you very much indeed, and good bye!
The community team

Filmmaker or film-maker?

According to this website, a cineaste is a filmmaker. But a search for the word "filmmaker" brings up only "film-maker". Which is it? And is there a word for this type of internal inconsistency? A leximuddle?


  • I don't understand why you think it's a muddle, @hmoorhouse907.

    Like a huge number of compounds, it started off as two words film maker. Then people became used to it, and wrote it with a hyphen film-maker. Finally, some people decided to drop the hyphen — which happens all the time.

    Personally, I don't care for the spelling filmmaker, but you're welcome to use it if you choose.

    Is there a name for all this? Yes, it's called change.

Sign In or Register to comment.