Mylk - new word, old word, resurging word?

AmphibioAmphibio
edited November 2 in New words and word trends
There is a very old word which has had a strong resurgence in recent years.... mylk. It is actually a ye olde spelling, with examples dating back to the 14th and 15th century (search for 'Almande Mylke')

However, due to legal restrictions on the word 'milk' from the dairy industry, it has come to be used within the vegan movement to refer specifically to plant milk, which has been growing rapidly worldwide in the past few years. A quick search for #mylk on instragram brings up tens of thousands of usages

Be interesting to hear your thoughts on whether it should be a word in the Oxford Dictionary

Comments

• Hi @Amphibio
    Interesting, I was not aware that this old spelling had been revived to refer to plant milks (or should I write mylks?).
    As for including this new sense int he dictionary, it will depend on how much this usage catches on.

Our dictionaries are not prescriptive - they don't create or impose senses for words or expressions.
    Instead, they record the use of the language, i.e. the way people use words and phrases.
    Of course languages change and evolve all the time, and a new word or sense will be added to the dictionary when there is enough evidence that people have been using it.

You are very welcome to suggest this new word to be included in the dictionary by using this link for submitting suggestions to the OED.
    But as I mentioned above there would have to be sufficient evidence for a particular word for it to be considered for inclusion.
    But the editors are normally quite happy to get leads on new word trends.

Incidentally, there was a discussion related to this before, around whether almond milk can really be called milk or not - you might find it interesting. :smile:

• Thats great, thanks @Simone - will make a submission thorugh that link. Yes, I did read the almond milk / mylk article, that is where I originally got some of the info of the old spelling of mylk from! But it has now been adopted quite broadly in the vegan community