Reporting for Newspaper

In an earlier report published by LPP in 2016, it had projected a 35% increase in global water consumption by 2040.

In an earlier report published by LPP in 2016, it projected a 35% increase in global water consumption by 2040.

In an earlier report published by LPP in 2016, it projects a 35% increase in global water consumption by 2040.

Which one of these three sentences is perfect when writing the newspaper report.

Comments

• @vms331, I don't like any of those — because of the pronoun it.

Also, I think the word published is unnecessary.

In a different style of prose, you could perhaps write

a report published earlier in 2016 by LPP

But this is too detailed for newspaper style. I would prefer

a 2016 report by LPP

In another style of prose you could write

there had been projected a 35% increase...

For newspaper style I'd prefer

A 2016 report by LPP had projected a 35% increase in global water consumption by 2040.

But the PAST SIMPLE variant is also acceptable:

A 2016 report by LPP projected a 35% increase in global water consumption by 2040.

If you want to use the PRESENT SIMPLE, I suggest putting the report date in brackets:

A report by LPP (published in 2016) projects a 35% increase in global water consumption by 2040.

• Thank you so much....

• 1)A 2016 report by LPP had projected a 35% increase in global water consumption by 2040.....1
    2)A 2016 report by LPP projected a 35% increase in global water consumption by 2040.............2

What difference does that make to the reader when sentences are rephrased and written in past perfect and past simple.?

Is it grammatically correct if I report the sentences that follow after 1 or 2 in present simple and simple future? (like the report says about the increasing demand for water etc. Report suggets....., Report also predicts that there** will*** be water scarcity in the future.....

• The choice between PAST PERFECT and PAST SIMPLE depends on more than just one sentence. Both are grammatical. One or the other might be better in a particular context — depending on the rest of the text.

Similarly the choice between PAST and PRESENT when stating the content of the report depends on the point of view which you establish in the whole text.

It's impossible to judge on the basis of single sentences in isolation.

• A 2016 report by LPP had projected a 35% increase in global water consumption by 2040. The report predicts that there will be water scarcity in the future. It also takes into account the availability of potable water in different geographical locations.

Now is it grammatically stable and correct? The first sentence being written in past perfect, do I need to follow the same grammar for the rest of the text. The rest of the text talks about the same report....

• No, if you use PRESENT SIMPLE in the second sentence, then there's no justification for PAST PERFECT in the first.

You've now omitted the word earlier — which changes the report entirely.

• OK, my last answer wasn't really helpful. Let's see if we can pin down the problem.

You say you want your text to be a newspaper report. This means that some of your sentences should actually report something. Other sentences may give background information.

Now, the sentences you've been trying out are very much background. The clearest signal of this is the word earlier. So what are you reporting? What's in the news?

1. Is it a new report on water consumption? Or a new government plan for managing water consumption?

If your sentence is a background to this sort of report, then I'd use

PRESENT PERFECT A new report / A new government proposal ... has been published
    PAST SIMPLE An earlier report by LPP projected...
    FUTURE IN THE PAST ... water would be scarce

1. Are you reporting a reaction to a report or plan or whatever? If so, I'd use

PAST SIMPLE Demonstrators against/A spokesman for ... praised/criticised/reacted angrily to ... yesterday. At a press conference/special meeting of .... [SOMEONE] said ...
    PAST PERFECT An earlier report had projected....
    PREDICTION IN THE PAST (would) ... water would be scarce

Now show the reader why this earlier report is relevant

According to the new report/ new proposals
    PRESENT SIMPLE ... water consumption is....
    PREDICTION ... water consumption will be...

1. Are you reporting the 2016 report? If so, I'd perhaps use

PRESENT SIMPLE Water consumption is ...
    PAST SIMPLE This was predicted/anticipated/forecast in a 2016 report by... It was projected ...
    PREDICTION IN THE PAST (would) ... water would ... by 2040
    [In this case you could use will ... by 2040 — especially if you continue with a comment of the speed of the trend according to today's statistics.]

The choice of verb forms depends on your point of view in time. And your point of view depends on how your background sentence relates to your reporting sentence.