Race

You have, on your online dictionary site, (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/race), under race2, a definition, quote: "1 - Each of the major divisions of humankind, having distinct physical characteristics.
‘people of all races, colours, and creeds’"
along with a few more definitions for the word Race as used in this context.
Can you please tell me which other Races you mean? I know of the Human Race, but need clarification of other Races that apply to the population of beings on Planet Earth, which you used for your definition.

Comments

• Hi @mchristianfamilytree
    Sorry for the late reply, but thanks for your question.

In order to answer your question, I need to clarify the logic behind including words and their senses in the dictionary.
    The dictionary is descriptive, not prescriptive.
    New words or senses are included when there is evidence that society is using them.

It is not up to the editors to decide on the meaning of particular words, they just record the way they are used.
    So the example sentence you quoted above was not created by the editors, but quoted from a real life source.

Have a look at this infographic which brings a little more information about this process, and also at the frequent questions we get.

I am aware that doesn't fully answer your question, but I hope you find it useful anyway!