Creating an antonym for the political idiom "spin"

Summary of a post to WORD HIPPO today: Under the citation for "opposite of spin". I propose that there be an idiomatic term that deals with the political obfuscation known as 'spin'. I propose that the term for the opposite of such spin is "Ronan". Etymology: Ronan Farrow is the symbol for cutting through obscurantism and identifying actual content.

Comments

• SimoneSimone admin
    edited October 8

Hi @ablanes887

Interesting point you raised there, and good logic for the term 'Ronan'! :)

However, Oxford Dictionaries are not prescriptive - they don't create or impose senses for words or expressions.
    The dictionaries record the use of the language, i.e. the way people use words and phrases.
    Of course languages change and evolve all the time, and a new word or sense will be added to the dictionary when there is enough evidence that people have been using it.
    Therefore, although your comment is interesting, we can't create a word.

You are very welcome to make suggestions of words/expressions to be included in the dictionary by using this link for submitting suggestions to the OED.
    But as I mentioned above there would have to be sufficient evidence for a particular word for it to be considered for inclusion.

I hope this is helpful!

• Thanks very much for your insights on this, Simone. I am a hardcore Ronan fan who follows Mr. Farrow on various social media, and I have seen discussions of various possible applications for the term "Ronan" as various parts of speech, adjective and as a verb.

It will be interesting to see what kind of consensus might be arrived at on what the public might agree is the denotative Ronan.

• Hi @ablanes844 / @ablanes887
    It does look like you might have a new word in the making :)
    Well, fell free to forward the link to submit suggestions to the OED to anyone you think might be interested.
    Editors are normally quite happy to receive suggestions (however, as I mentioned this doesn't mean a word will be included - it will all depend on the evidence for it).
    And welcome to our English community, I hope you find it useful.

• Thank you for your gracious response, Simone, and I am looking forward to seeing how this unfolds. I do have a technical question, though. I am wondering how I ended up being [email protected] and @ablanes887 - I suspect this might create a bit of uncertainty.

Best regards
    Alan

• SimoneSimone admin
    edited September 21

Hi @ablanes844
    Yes, keep me posted, I find this quite interesting.
    About your two accounts, let me send you a private message about that.

• edited September 28

Yes, you highlight a good point. But is it necessary to have an opponent for each word? I mean to say that every word should have synonym and antonym e.g Facebook should have antonym of foot book or not?

• You raise a valid question, sullah_ranjha114. The question of whether an integer relationship is essential for each word is something that deserves momentary thought, but then we quickly see that only those words for which a converse is appropriate, actually are relevant for this kind of examination.

There is, in my view. an urgent need to designate an opposite to political spin, due to the the fact that such mushy and manipulative abuse of language by those who seek to obscure political questions, requires clarity. Spin would be easier to contain if there is indeed a clear opposite term.