Is this a new meaning for 'LOOP'?

I have recently been working with consultants from India, and finding the differences in English usage intriguing. Because we are communicating mainly by email, the word 'revert' comes up fairly frequently in its Indian sense ('to reply or respond to someone'), but I have also come across the word 'loop' used to mean including someone new in an email discussion, e.g. "Looping Ahbishek who may be able to answer this question" (and Ahbishek is then added to the people copied in). The intended meaning is obvious, but this usage doesn't appear on the definition page for 'loop'. Is it common in India, and have others seen it used in this way elsewhere?

Comments

• The 1997 Draft Addition to the OED adds:

a. in the loop, well-informed; privy to information not generally known; included; part of a process. Cf. in the know Chiefly U.S.

I would say that this sense is now quite common here in Britain also. From this sense, it's easy to see how you would extend in the loop to mean 'among the people informed by an email' and from there to 'among the members of the discussion group'.

The OED doesn't record the verb to loop in any sense referring to information-sharing — not even in the Draft Additions. And I for one have never heard any such use.

• I have also come across similar comments but more usually in the form of a phrasal verb, loop in (in the sense of bringing someone into the proverbial loop). It sounds like your "loop" is an abbreviated form of the phrasal verb where the speakers have dispensed with the particle.

I had always assumed it was a US thing as I am more often in contact with Americas than Indian subcontinent; it would be interesting to see some data on the issue.

• Only4PetsOnly4Pets
    edited February 19

Can someone explain in more detail?

• Hi @Only4Pets,

Which bit are you having difficulty with?