As you are probably aware, our contemporary English content is now available through Lexico.com (https://www.lexico.com/en), and our old English dictionary site no longer exists.

As a result of this, this forum is now closed.

The English dictionary community team would like the opportunity to say a huge thanks to all of you who participated by posting questions and helping other community members.
We hope this forum was useful, and that you enjoyed being a part of it.

If you would like to get in touch with any OED-related queries, please write to
[email protected]

And if you would like to contribute suggestions to the OED, please do so by visiting: https://public.oed.com/contribute-to-the-oed/

Thank you very much indeed, and good bye!
The community team

When I've phoned Jane, we can have dinner.

Hello!
Could you help me to explain the difference between the two sentences:
1. When I've phoned Jane, we can have dinner.
2. When I phone Jane, we can have dinner.

Comments

• DavidCrosbieDavidCrosbie ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

The difference is very slight.

1. When I've phoned Jane explicitly signals that there will be a gap between the phone call and the dinner.
    2. When I phone Jane doesn't make that explicit signal because both speaker and hearer know how the world works. In normal circumstances there is a gap between the two.

So,

• In [1] the hearer is told of the time gap explicitly though the grammar.
    • In [2] the hearer understands the time gap implicitly though knowledge of the situation

Our knowledge of the world tells us that we don't begin and end meals during a phone call. OK, there just could be situation in which we sit around a dinner table waiting for someone to phone Jane so that we can start eating. But this is so unusual that speaker would need to say

When I phone Jane, we can start our dinner.

Even this is a bit awkward. I would prefer

We can start dinner when I phone Jane.

@Contemporaneous

• DavidCrosbieDavidCrosbie ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

I've realised that there's a further possibility.

Normally, sentences like [1] and [2] would refer to one future occasion for the phone call and one occasion after that for the dinner.

However, sentence [2] could just about be used to refer to a general condition for many occasions. To make such a meaning clear, I would say

Whenever I phone Jane, we can have dinner.

In this situation, the time-gap is irrelevant. I wouldn't be happy with

Whenever I've phoned Jane, we can have dinner.

As I see it, this meaning sees each example of a phone call followed by dinner as a single two-part occasion. The speaker would refer to a possible number of such occasions in the future.

• Thank you, David. Your analysis is very interesting and helpful. :)