Relative pronouns

Hi 
Could you please tell me which one is correct? 

I read about it in some book, does it matter .......... it was?
A. which
B. where 
C. how
D. what

Comments

• @AliNateghi
    1. Whatever pronoun you choose, I don't think you can get away with just a comma after book. In very informal writing, you might get away with a dash. But it's safest to use a full stop and start a new sentence.
    2. The word it can be used in two ways.

• to refer back to something already mentioned — as in I read about it
    • as a meaningless 'dummy' subject — as in Does it matter?

Now the third it may be used either way

• to refer back to some book. In this case you can use Does it matter which it was?
    • as a meaningless dummy subject followed by a vague verb. In this case, you could use
      Does it matter where it was? meaning 'Does it matter where it happened?'
      Does it matter how it was? meaning 'Does it matter how it happened?'

The remaining choice Does it matter what it was? doesn't really work. The second it doesn't feel like a reference back to some book.
    It could work with I read about it in some book, or maybe some magazine. Does it matter what it was?

Although Does it matter which it was? seems to be the best of the four, I don't really like it.
    I would much prefer something like Does it matter what book it was? or Do you need to know about the book?

• @AliNateghi
    1. Whatever pronoun you choose, I don't think you can get away with just a comma after book. In very informal writing, you might get away with a dash. But it's safest to use a full stop and start a new sentence.
    2. The word it can be used in two ways.

• to refer back to something already mentioned — as in I read about it
    • as a meaningless 'dummy' subject — as in Does it matter?

Now the third it may be used either way

• to refer back to some book. In this case you can use Does it matter which it was?
    • as a meaningless dummy subject followed by a vague verb. In this case, you could use
      Does it matter where it was? meaning 'Does it matter where it happened?'
      Does it matter how it was? meaning 'Does it matter how it happened?'

The remaining choice Does it matter what it was? doesn't really work. The second it doesn't feel like a reference back to some book.
    It could work with I read about it in some book, or maybe some magazine. Does it matter what it was?

Although Does it matter which it was? seems to be the best of the four, I don't really like it.
    I would much prefer something like Does it matter what book it was? or Do you need to know about the book?

• I feel, it really doesn't matter as what matters is letting your character shine through, by showing your true self with anything including, through the canvas of text, it shows that even with the usage of even simple emoticons and text speak, you can communicate and show who you are, the way you speak, and even sarcasm and feelings, or moods, may not be perfect, and grammatically correct, suchlike , David Crosbie,  of course there is so many wonderful words and expressons, it's how it all began, and of course, I would use his knowledge and insight, which is very knowledgeable and at times amazing, but I do feel it can become too complicated, and with too many rules, so therefore it becomes apparent that if an error in gammer at times, this is absolutely awful, and a bit pedantic, if you are wanting to be guarded, then his advice is the way, but without a bit more context, I wouldn't say it would or wouldn't be even noticed, but don't forget other ways of expressing ones self and showing who u are, no offence to David intended, of course, he's a very clever man, 👏 , but tbh I don't think it matters really, be genuine, depending on the audience, there's a much bigger things out there. 
  • @vdalby658, I'm all for honesty in trying to present your real self. But you can't assume that what seems real to you is what the reader will understand. You owe it to your reader to make everything as clear as your can — your ideas as well as your personality.

Textspeak works extremely well in many situations, but there are other times when it simply can't convey the ideas and attitudes that you wish to communicate.

Emoticons have their use but there are, I think, two problems.

• The range of emotions that most people understand is quite limited, and if you try to amend or invent symbols there's a real danger that you won't be understood.
    • There are still many (probably older) readers who don't like emoticons, or don't think that anybody using them has anything serious to say.

If you write something that a stranger is going to read, you should always be aware that the reader is doing you a favour.The writer should work hard so that the reader doesn't have to. Even if your writing can have only one meaning, that isn't good enough. You should craft it so that the reader can understand without having to puzzle out your meaning.