This is my one.

In the following video, between 9:52 and 9:55, and between 10:13 and 10:17, the narrator, who seems like a Britisher, and speaks British English, and has a British accent, says, "This is my one". Is it a dialectal variation?

Comments

• DavidCrosbieDavidCrosbie ✭✭✭
    edited July 30

In the conversation between the two women, I can hear 'this one' and 'that one' and 'the stripey one' but not 'my one'.

In the earlier monologue, the woman does indeed say 'This is my one'. Although the construction seems to have become more popular recently, I don't think it was unacceptable before in Standard English.

It has the advantage over 'This is mine' in that it's unambiguous.

• This is mine [Sense 1] = 'This belongs to me'
    • This is mine [Sense 2] = 'This is the one that's mine'

This is my one can have only Sense 2.

In a written description followed by a picture, we might prefer

Mine is this [PICTURE].

But that wouldn't sound right in the woman's spoken monologue about bags. I suppose that in the past most people would have said 'This is my bag'. Nowadays more people feel it's unnecessary to use the noun if they're already said the word several times, and if they're holding up an example of the thing that the noun refers to.

• Oh, okay. I thought I heard "This is my one." Okay. Thank you very much.

You did hear it earlier.

• I do agree that the lady says "my one".
    One of my nieces uses that form too, instead of "mine". I tend to think it is grammatically wrong and "mine" should be used instead. Can you settle the problem? Thanks a lot.

edited August 16

@anneraynaudreversat, nobody can 'settle the problem' of language change. A novelty like this is either a passing fashion or it will become universally accepted. I think my one etc has now become such a common feature — especially in the speech of British young people — that it almost certainly isn't a passing fashion.

I can't see any grammatical argument against it. The pronoun one regularly substitutes for a noun in all manner of noun phrases.

The fact that a one-word pronoun exists doesn't mean that we must use it. The DEMONSTRATIVES can be used either as one-word pronouns or as part of a noun phrase with one(s)'

this, that, these, those ~ this one, that one, these ones, those ones

The only cogent argument is that it may be a useful policy to use the more widely used mine etc.

But the young woman in the video isn't speaking to an audience that might find the wording unusual. In fact I suspect her audience would find it rather unusual to say This is mine in that context.

If you bother to view the whole sequence, you'll see that she's been 'gifted' a particular handbag in particular colour from a particular range called Sam by a particular brand called Kate Spade New York. She's shown us the features of the bag, and show us what she keeps in the bag. By the time she gets to the New York store, she's worked hard to make us familiar with the appearance, name, and style of the bag — and, of course, the brand.

So when the camera shows her picking out an identical bag to the one we know, it makes perfect sense for her to say 'This is my one' — although she then identifies a minor difference.

The topic is the variety of Sam bags on the stand, referring to 'that one' and 'this one' and 'a stripey one'. She finds something from a distinct 'collection' within Sam bags and explains that the difference. Interestingly, she says it twice
    'It's smaller (I don't know if you can see) than my handbag, um, than my one.'
    I can only speculate as to why she corrected herself. It could be that 'my hand bag' felt less effective in getting across the brand and model — of which her bag was an example.

[I think Antaryamin was thinking of this contrast, but the timing given of 10.13-10.17 is when the shopper says that one, this one and stripey one. It' a bit later, at around 10.40, that she says 'smaller ... than my one'.]

edited August 18

I've just had a eureka moment. When she says 'my one', the young woman means something different from 'my bag'.

When she holds up there bag to the camera (actually filling the screen) and says 'This PAUSE is my new bag', she's talking about a physical new addition to her physical collection. When she talks about her 'What's in my bag?' routine, she's referring to a current physical component of her current physical outfit. The phrase 'my one' refers to something abstract and precise: the variant of the model in the range of the brand she's been encouraged to promote.

When she says 'smaller than my handbag' it sounds wrong to her. Whether or not she's conscious of it, it's not her preferred expression for the precise abstract property of the bag 'gifted' to her. So she corrects herself 'um, than my one'.