Usage

Hi,
Which one is correct or makes more sense? And should I use are or is because they are joined by and, and why?

However, the application and approval process for home-construction loan are somewhat different from the process for common housing loans. 
or
However, the application and approval process for home-construction loan are somewhat different from common housing loans.

Best Answer

Answers

• SimoneSimone admin

Hi @mnegi90
    Thank you for your question, it's an interesting one.

Stylistically, I prefer your first option, although the second wouldn't be wrong.
    However, it looks like you should use 'is' instead of 'are', assuming the application and approval process is one process.
    Also, I would use the plural 'home-construction loans' instead of 'home-construction loan' in the singular.
    So your sentence would be:
    However, the application and approval process for home-construction loans is somewhat different from the process for common housing loans.

I hope this helps.

Your questions are very welcome, and the community will always do their best to help.
    However, I noticed that you posted the same question multiple times (also as a comment on an unrelated discussion) - may I ask you not to do this, please? Just because it clutters the forum.
    So I will remove the repeated posts, while keeping this one.

Best,
    Simone

• DavidCrosbieDavidCrosbie ✭✭✭
    edited July 25

I don't see how either sentence is acceptable with the SINGULAR process and the PLURAL are.

In each sentence the SUBJECT is

the application and approval process for home-construction loan

This is a NOUN PHRASE consisting of four parts
    1. the
    2. application and approval
    3. process
    4. for home-construction loan

In technical terms, these are
    1. DETERMINER
    2. PREMODIFYING PHRASE
    3. HEAD NOUN
    4. POSTMODIFYING PHRASE

Since the HEAD NOUN is SINGULAR, the whole SUBJECT is SINGULAR

If you want a PLURAL SUBJECT, you'll need to change the grammar

the application and the approval process for home-construction loan

1a. the DETERMINER
    1b. application HEAD NOUN
    2. and CO-ORDINATOR
    3a. the DETERMINER
    3b. approval PREMODIFIER
    3c. process HEAD NOUN
    5. for home-construction loan POSTMODIFYING PHRASE

By the way the POSTMODIFYING PHRASE isn't really grammatical. I think you mean
    either
    for a home-construction loan
    or
    for home-construction loans

• Hi DavidCrosbie,

First of all, thanks for the insightful information. And, please tell me where I should use the article (a, an & the) and where I should omit them.