'mandatory' as noun

Is it correct to say "Gossiping is a 'mandatory' in community life"?
I believe it's impossible to use 'mandatory' as noun as a meaning of 'compulsory'.
I'M DESPERATE TO KNOW THE RIGHT ANSWER. PLEASE ANSWER!

Comments

• DavidCrosbieDavidCrosbie ✭✭✭

The OED entry for mandatory was revised for the Third Edition of September 2000. Up to that date, the only uses recorded for the word as a noun were

B. n.
    1. A person to whom a mandate (mandate n. 4c or mandate n. 1) is given; = mandatary n.
    †2. A text forming an instruction, a set of laws, etc. Obsolete.
    3. A power or state in receipt of a mandate (mandate n. 3) from the League of Nations.

The references to different senses of mandate are

mandate 4c gen. A command, order, or injunction. Also: a commission

mandate 1a Scottish Law. A contract by which one person authorizes another to act without payment on his or her behalf, either generally or in a particular capacity.
    mandate 1b Roman Law. A consensual contract in which one person requests another to perform a service without payment, undertaking to indemnify him or her against loss.
    mandate 1c. A contract of bailment by which the recipient undertakes to perform, without payment, a service with regard to something committed to his or her keeping.

mandate 3 A commission issued by the League of Nations (1919–46) authorizing a selected power to administer, control, and develop a territory; the territory so allocated. Now historical.

I think it's safe to say that up to this century it has been impossible to say Gossiping is a mandatory. If you've seen sentences like this, it must be either a mistake or a very newly invented use of mandatory.