Such as... OR or AND?

Hello,

When we use "such as" to introduce an examples list, the last term listed should be preceded by OR or AND?

Example: She bought a lot, such as T-shirts, pants AND/OR socks.

Thanks for your support.

Anna

Comments

• DavidCrosbieDavidCrosbie ✭✭✭
    edited January 31

When we talk about or write about a number of examples, Anna, the distinction between AND and OR may be lost. The phrase such as can easily be replaced:

She likes buying small items of clothing for him, such as T-shirts, pants and socks.
    She likes buying small items of clothing for him, such as T-shirts, pants or socks.

There are good bargains to be found in that store, for example T-shirts, pants and socks.
    There are good bargains to be found in that store, for example T-shirts, pants or socks.

[I've changes your sentence, because She bought a lot suggests that she made one purchase of many things. Besides, those articles of clothing aren't examples of a lot. You could avoid this by writing

She would buy many things to wear.

If you really want to use a lot, I think you have to write something like:

She used to buy a lot. For example she bought T-shirts, pants and socks.
    She used to buy a lot. For example she bought T-shirts, pants or socks.
    ]

• No. It is a list. There is nothing alternative about its cintents

• If you are choosing a number of items, AND precedes the last one.

If you are choosing from a list of alternatives, then OR precedes the last item.

Regards...

Bernard

Regards...

Bernard

edited February 1

Reply to @JMaoles

No. It is a list. There is nothing alternative about its contents.

But it's a list of examples. That's why both AND and OR are possible.

edited February 1

Reply to @BeeTee-Ess

If you are choosing a number of items, AND precedes the last one.

If you are choosing from a list of alternatives, then OR precedes the last item.

Yes, but Anna wasn't choosing. She was illustrating by means of an open-ended list of examples.

The idea of choosing is fine if the list is a closed set.

As I read it, Anna's sentence only makes sense if she made several choices — on (at least) one occasion choosing T-shirts, on one or more others choosing pants, and on a further one or more choosing socks.

These choices can be seen collectively — prompting the word AND. But they can also been seen as alternatives — prompting the word OR.

• @portella_anna said:
    Hello,

When we use "such as" to introduce an examples list, the last term listed should be preceded by OR or AND?

Example: She bought a lot, such as T-shirts, pants AND/OR socks.

Thanks for your support.

Anna

@DavidCrosbie said:
    When we talk about or write about a number of examples, Anna, the distinction between AND and OR may be lost. The phrase such as can easily be replaced:

She likes buying small items of clothing for him, such as T-shirts, pants and socks.
    She likes buying small items of clothing for him, such as T-shirts, pants or socks.

There are good bargains to be found in that store, for example T-shirts, pants and socks.
    There are good bargains to be found in that store, for example T-shirts, pants or socks.

[I've changes your sentence, because She bought a lot suggests that she made one purchase of many things. Besides, those articles of clothing aren't examples of a lot. You could avoid this by writing

]

@DavidCrosbie said:

]

Thanks for your response, David.

So I understand that it doesn't make any difference if I use AND or OR. Is that right?

• Anna, it doesn't make any difference with examples. But with other lists it may make a big difference.

• Only4PetsOnly4Pets
    edited February 19

Can someone explain in more details?

• Hi @Only4Pets,

What exactly are you having difficulty with?