As you are probably aware, our contemporary English content is now available through Lexico.com (https://www.lexico.com/en), and our old English dictionary site no longer exists.

As a result of this, this forum is now closed.

The English dictionary community team would like the opportunity to say a huge thanks to all of you who participated by posting questions and helping other community members.
We hope this forum was useful, and that you enjoyed being a part of it.

If you would like to get in touch with any OED-related queries, please write to
[email protected]

And if you would like to contribute suggestions to the OED, please do so by visiting: https://public.oed.com/contribute-to-the-oed/

Thank you very much indeed, and good bye!
The community team

Such as... OR or AND?

Hello,

When we use "such as" to introduce an examples list, the last term listed should be preceded by OR or AND?

Example: She bought a lot, such as T-shirts, pants AND/OR socks.

Thanks for your support.

Anna

Comments

• DavidCrosbieDavidCrosbie ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

When we talk about or write about a number of examples, Anna, the distinction between AND and OR may be lost. The phrase such as can easily be replaced:

She likes buying small items of clothing for him, such as T-shirts, pants and socks.
    She likes buying small items of clothing for him, such as T-shirts, pants or socks.

There are good bargains to be found in that store, for example T-shirts, pants and socks.
    There are good bargains to be found in that store, for example T-shirts, pants or socks.

[I've changes your sentence, because She bought a lot suggests that she made one purchase of many things. Besides, those articles of clothing aren't examples of a lot. You could avoid this by writing

She would buy many things to wear.

If you really want to use a lot, I think you have to write something like:

She used to buy a lot. For example she bought T-shirts, pants and socks.
    She used to buy a lot. For example she bought T-shirts, pants or socks.
    ]

• No. It is a list. There is nothing alternative about its cintents

• If you are choosing a number of items, AND precedes the last one.

If you are choosing from a list of alternatives, then OR precedes the last item.

Regards...

Bernard

Regards...

Bernard

edited February 2018

Reply to @JMaoles

No. It is a list. There is nothing alternative about its contents.

But it's a list of examples. That's why both AND and OR are possible.

edited February 2018

Reply to @BeeTee-Ess

If you are choosing a number of items, AND precedes the last one.

If you are choosing from a list of alternatives, then OR precedes the last item.

Yes, but Anna wasn't choosing. She was illustrating by means of an open-ended list of examples.

The idea of choosing is fine if the list is a closed set.

As I read it, Anna's sentence only makes sense if she made several choices — on (at least) one occasion choosing T-shirts, on one or more others choosing pants, and on a further one or more choosing socks.

These choices can be seen collectively — prompting the word AND. But they can also been seen as alternatives — prompting the word OR.

• @portella_anna said:
    Hello,

When we use "such as" to introduce an examples list, the last term listed should be preceded by OR or AND?

Example: She bought a lot, such as T-shirts, pants AND/OR socks.

Thanks for your support.

Anna

@DavidCrosbie said:
    When we talk about or write about a number of examples, Anna, the distinction between AND and OR may be lost. The phrase such as can easily be replaced:

She likes buying small items of clothing for him, such as T-shirts, pants and socks.
    She likes buying small items of clothing for him, such as T-shirts, pants or socks.

There are good bargains to be found in that store, for example T-shirts, pants and socks.
    There are good bargains to be found in that store, for example T-shirts, pants or socks.

[I've changes your sentence, because She bought a lot suggests that she made one purchase of many things. Besides, those articles of clothing aren't examples of a lot. You could avoid this by writing

]

@DavidCrosbie said:

]

Thanks for your response, David.

So I understand that it doesn't make any difference if I use AND or OR. Is that right?

• Anna, it doesn't make any difference with examples. But with other lists it may make a big difference.

• Only4PetsOnly4Pets
    edited February 2018

Can someone explain in more details?

• Hi @Only4Pets,

What exactly are you having difficulty with?