I am happy being a part of the forum. I find problem with using 'a' before UNIVERSITY or ONE.

Could you please tell me the correct rule in this regard?
Thanking you,
Masum

Answers

• SimoneSimone admin

Hi @mtalukder618
    Welcome to our community!

So this has to do with how the word sounds whey you say it, and not with the way it is spelt.
    If you pronounce it with a vowel sound, you need to use an (an egg, for example).
    Now both university and one start with consonant sounds when you say the words, and this is why the article required is 'a' and not 'an'.

Have a look at this article from the Oxford English dictionary site, you will find it useful to further clarify your question:

‘A historic event’ or ‘an historic event’?

By the way, I've removed your email address from your post, to protect your privacy (and to comply with our Member Guidelines).

• DavidCrosbieDavidCrosbie ✭✭✭

There is a simple rule which is usually followed. The indefinite article takes the form a before a CONSONANT SOUND and the form an before a VOWEL SOUND.

The rule is not based on consonant letters and vowel letters — although these often correspond to consonant and vowel sounds.

The point about university (and many other words with spellings beginning with letter U) is that the initial SOUND is the consonant usually represented by the letter Y.

So it's a university uh YOO-NIVV-ER-SITT-EE. (Also a union uh YOO-nyuhn.)

Similarly one begins with the consonant sound usually represented by the letter W.

So it's a one-off uh WUNN-OFF.

It works the other way when a word starts with a consonant letter but a vowel SOUND. There is no H-sound in hour or honour, for example.

So its an hour uhn OWR and an honour uhn ONN-uh(r).

[The rule is sometimes not followed with the words historic and hotel.]