Which is the correct one?

Hello all,

Can you please help me with something? Since English is not my native language, which one of the following is the correct one, or if all are correct, which one sound better?

1 - Farce Tales
2 - Tales of Farce
3 - Tales of a Farce

This is really important for me to know because if a title of something I have to do and deliver.
Thank you for your help.

Best Answer

• DavidCrosbieDavidCrosbie ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

The first won't do, but Farcical Tales is a possible phrase.

There's a difference between farce and a farce, so you must decide which you mean,

A farce (PLURAL farces) is a comic play of a particular type .

You can also use a farce to mean 'a situation which is like a farce'.

[I don't think I'd use the PLURAL farces to mean 'situations which are like farces']

Farce (no PLURAL) is the genre, that is to say the type of comedy.

I suggest you look carefully at the examples for meanings 1, 1.1 and 1.2 here:

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/farce

An important question is whether you are discussing a variety of plays (or situations) or just one.

The only justification for Tales of a Farce is if there are several stories concerning one play (or situation)

Answers

• Thanks!
    Is the word "farcical" understood by most people? Is it a easy word that people know? Sorry but that is important for me too.
    Thank you once again

Again, I suggest that you look at the example sentences. Click here:
    https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/farcical
    and click for More example sentences.

• Thank you and I understand that Farcical Tales is definitely the best one.
    What I asked is, for example, if someone sees or read the word Farcical, will the majority of people understand what it means? That is related to Farce?
    Thank you for your help.

That link was to the Oxford Online Dictionary for general users. I think you can assume that any explanation given there corresponds to what English speakers use and understand.

This is different from the OED (Oxford English Dictionary), which describes both common and rare words from the whole history of English.