's or Not?

Which of the below sentences is correct, if either?

'Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday's meetings were cancelled.'

or

'Monday's, Tuesday's and Wednesday's meetings were cancelled.'

Please explain your answer as well. Neither seems wrong to me.

Thanks

Best Answer

• DavidCrosbieDavidCrosbie ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

'Monday's, Tuesday's and Wednesday's meetings were cancelled.' is more logical.

Strictly speaking 'Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday's meetings were cancelled.' states that Monday was cancelled, Tuesday was cancelled and Wednesday's meetings were cancelled. However, nobody would assume that you meant to say this.

Personally I would prefer to say
    'Monday's, Tuesday's and Wednesday's meetings were all cancelled.'
    or
    All meetings were cancelled for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Normally, I would mark with possessive -'s each possessor in a chain linked by and — with these exceptions
    1. One possession is shared e.g. John and Mary's house
    2. The possessors constitute a group e.g. the King and Queen's various attendants, Oxford and Cambridge's Colleges,

In writing, I would avoid possessive -'s forms for non-human possessors e.g. the meetings on Monday, Tuesday and Wednessday, the Colleges of Oxford and Cambridge

Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday is just a list of days — no more a group than Saturday, Thursday and Friday or any other selection.

Answers

• Does my question make sense? I wonder if no one has replied because the question itself doesn't make sense. 
  • 'Monday's, Tuesday's and Wednesday's meetings were cancelled.' is more logical.

Strictly speaking 'Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday's meetings were cancelled.' states that Monday was cancelled, Tuesday was cancelled and Wednesday's meetings were cancelled. However, nobody would assume that you meant to say this.

Personally I would prefer to say
    'Monday's, Tuesday's and Wednesday's meetings were all cancelled.'
    or
    All meetings were cancelled for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Normally, I would mark with possessive -'s each possessor in a chain linked by and — with these exceptions
    1. One possession is shared e.g. John and Mary's house
    2. The possessors constitute a group e.g. the King and Queen's various attendants, Oxford and Cambridge's Colleges,

In writing, I would avoid possessive -'s forms for non-human possessors e.g. the meetings on Monday, Tuesday and Wednessday, the Colleges of Oxford and Cambridge

Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday is just a list of days — no more a group than Saturday, Thursday and Friday or any other selection.

Thanks, David, that all makes perfect sense.