about writing date

Which of the followings is/are correct:
(1) Today, on the 2nd of June 2018, we have welcomed ...
OR
(2) Today, the 2nd of June 2018, ...
OR
(3) Today, 2nd of June 2018, ...
OR
(4) Today, 2 June 2018, ... ?

Comments

• DavidCrosbieDavidCrosbie ✭✭✭
    edited June 2

@pierantoniov_fdcc , the main thing is not to use we have welcomed.

Today with PRESENT PERFECT is used after something has happened. In this example the verb welcome is used performatively — which means that by saying the word we actually perform the welcome. So the appropriate wording is Today we welcome.

Other performative uses are
    Today we appeal to...
    Today we celebrate...
    Today we remember...
    Today we broadcast...

Even when the verb is not performative, we use the PRESENT SIMPLE to explain the purpose e.g.
    Today we meet to...
    Today we join to...

However, in the explaining examples the PRESENT PERFECT is also possible, because it's the present result of an action in the past (in this case the very recent past).
    Today we have met to...
    Today we have joined to...

Another problem is that you head your question About writing date.

• First a simple mistake: it should be writing a date or writing the date or simple writing dates.
    • More seriously, the wording you've chosen is suitable for speech but not quite appropriate for writing.
    1. Because it will be read in future years, I think it's better to start with the day of the week: Today, Saturday DAY MONTH 2018
    2. In writing I think most people would prefer to start with on: On this day, Saturday DAY MONTH 20128

In speech, I think it's OK to start with Today and miss out Saturday because your listeners know what day it is.

That leaves the central problem of how to express DAY MONTH
    1. American usage differs from British. They say and write MONTH DAY. I believe the usual spoken form is June second, and the usual written form is June 2.
    (A famous example of American usage which we all copy is nine eleven. In British usage 9/11 normally means 'the ninth of November'.)
    2. In speech, I believe June the second and the second of June are equally acceptable, both in British and American usage. In British speech it sounds foreign to omit the word the. I suspect that most Americans would not write second of June or 2nd of June without the— although they might say it.
    3. In British speech, we can't omit of in DAY of MONTH. It sounds wrong — or at least very foreign — to say second June.
    4. In speech we would never say two June. In writing 2 June might look OK in some styles, but I would find it strange in formal writing. In American formal writing, I believe June 2 is acceptable, even normal. I'm not sure how many Americans can say June two.
    5. Although on DATE is perfectly normal, it seems strange to mix time expressions. I don't like Today, on DATE, and I believe most native speakers would feel the same. As I said before, a more usual mixture is On this day, DATE.

All in all, my preferred written version would be

As I write, today is Saturday the 2nd of June 2018, and on this day we welcome...

Not all British writers would agree, and American writers would certainly disagree.

My preferred spoken versions would be

Today, Saturday the second of June, we welcome...