To increase vocabulary.....pertaining to French and Latin words

Guys suggest me some ways,so that I'll be successful in increasing my vocabulary pertaining to the words, which are etymologically derived from French and Latin words or phrases.Thank you...

Comments

• Send me the suggestions soon friends....I am waiting.

• SimoneSimone admin

Hi @abhi_21
    Have a look at these two articles, you might find them interesting:

English words of Latin origin
    7 English words you may not know are really French

These are from our English blog, and if you search for more posts there (there is a search function on the blog site), you might find other related articles.
    I hope this helps! :)

• Thanks Simone!..for your assistance.If you get some more information on this topic kindly send me.Actually I am on with a research this fascinating topic since months,and I joined forum yesterday itself.Thank you...

• SimoneSimone admin

You're very welcome, @abhi_21!
    I sent you the two most obvious articles I could find, but as I mentioned, if you search there on the blog site, you may find more information.
    It is indeed a fascinating topic, good luck with your research! :)

• A fun way to increase your "Latin" vocabulary is to read ABC ET CETERA: The Life & Times of the Roman Alphabet, by Alexander and Nicholas Humez. They are both erudite and humorous, a rare combination. An example, from the letter B:

"B is for bellicose, belligerent, and the -bell of rebellion, all ultimately from Latin bellum (war). Latin rebellare originally meant "to engage in renewed warfare" and referred specifically to the annoying slap-and-tickle routines in which people indulged after suitable periods of rest, recuperation, refreshment, and general regrouping ..."

The Humez brothers have written several other books, for instance Latin for People and Alpha to Omega (Greek words).

• Actually I even own a book names Word Power Made Easy.In this book both vocabulary building techniques as well as etymologies of those words are also provided.So rather I can practice from it.But Thanks a lot to assist.

• Thanks Simone

• In fact, you asked a very difficult question, since English (derived from Anglo-Saxon languages, being similar to the languages of the German tribes) absorbed a large number of French (then Norman) words after the conquest of William Bastard. For example, banal come in on Saxon and enter on Norman. Why am I saying all this? To the fact that you first need to figure out which words went before all not from the French but from the Norman language)

• But you know I also attended the idea that if you learn Latin (as the most common since the time of the Roman Empire) then other languages will be somewhat easier to learn. Italian and Spanish for example.