Meaning of the adjective 'close'

Which of the meanings of the adjective 'close' is meant to be attached to a certain object?
Please help me.

Comments

• DavidCrosbieDavidCrosbie ✭✭✭

It's impossible to answer for certain without knowing what the 'certain object is'.

However, it's usually true that when we say an object is close, we mean that there is little space between the object and some reference point.

• If I say 'The Post Office is on the High Street and my house is quite close' I mean there is little space between my house and the Post Office.
    • If I say 'My house's quite close. We can walk there in a couple of minutes' I mean there is little space between my house and here — the place where we're speaking.

My house is close is the so-called predicative use of an adjective. This is when the adjective comes after the verb BE (and similar verbs.)

The other use of adjectives is termed attributive. It's when the adjective comes before a noun — for example a close friend or a close shave or a close approximation.

But none of these nouns — friend, shave, approximation — refer to objects. We rarely if ever use close attributively before a noun referring to 'a certain object'. We don't say a close house; we say a nearby house.

• drlee7779drlee7779
    edited May 8

Thank you for answer.

When an object is attached to an object, can I use the 1.1 meaning of the adjective close (With very little or no space in between; dense.)?

That's why I asked this question.

I want you to help me.
    Thank you.

• SimoneSimone admin
    edited May 9

Hi @drlee7779
    As @DavidCrosbie mentioned above, it's difficult to answer your question without knowing which object you have in mind.
    So as I mentioned on the other thread, please let us know what sentence you are trying to write, it will be easier to help. :)