10723rd word

hi all , can someone please help , I'm looking for the 10723rd word of the English dictionary ( What is the Word )

Comments

• Greetings Brandon,

This question makes no sense to me since most standard dictionaries are dynamic (usually expanding).

Even if dictionaries were static, which dictionary are you seeking the 10723rd word for?

Percy Henry, Read Clearly Dictionaries
    http://readtaclearly.com

• im just looking for the word of any dictionary , i understand its expanding , that is actually a verse in the bible , so i want to use the word of it for my company name

• I did a google search of 10723rd word Bible reference and 10723 word Bible reference and got back no link to a bible reference.

It therefore would be helpful if you provide the exact Bible reference (Book, Chapter and verse).

Percy Henry, Read Clearly Dictionaries
    http://readtaclearly.com

• Brandon,

I tried to get an answer to your question by asking the wise people at World Forum for their opinion: you can their answers here.

• Hello @phenry1026. While it's true that the number of words in different dictionaries vary, and each of ours are ever growing, if you want to just find the 10723rd word in A dictionary, one option is to search the OED from A-Z here.

It might take a bit of work to find, but the entries are numbered. If you type 'ant' into the 'jump to any alphabetical point' box, that takes you to around entry 10,000, and then it would just be a case of searching from there.

Although you need a subscription to use the OED, if you don't have a personal subscription, you may be able to log in using your library card number (many public libraries subscribe).

I hope this helps!

• Hi @joughtred if you can give me a free complimentary subscription, I will begin search away.

Perhaps the OP has a subscription so this will be helpful to him.

• The problem with joughtred's solution is the question: 'What is a word?'

The search box at the beginning of the dictionary reads

A, n.
    a, pron.
    a, adj.
    a, prep.1
    a, prep.2
    a, conj.
    a, int.1
    a, int.2
    a-, prefix1
    a-, prefix2
    a-, prefix3
    a-, prefix4
    a-, prefixS
    a-, prefix6
    -a, suffix1
    -a, suffix2
    A1,adj.
    A2, n.
    aa, n.1
    aa, n.2

Six prefixes and two suffixes — do you want to count them as words? And are you sure you want to count a, prep. as two words? These may turn out to be easily answered questions, but it's still a time-consuming business.

• That's a good point, @DavidCrosbie! Some words are also listed once but have a number of senses (the verb 'run' has over 270 main senses in its OED entry).