Present Progressive and Simple Past or Simple Present Perfect

In the following sentence I am not quite sure which time I should use in the second part:

I am drawn to XXX, due to the fact that I have attended a lecture that has sparked my interest.

Can anyone give me a hint if I should use Simple Past or Simple Present Perfect?

Comments

• Both, I think, are possible @clemetti*. PRESENT PERFECT can be justified on two grounds (as well as on others):

1. An action is reported as happening at an indefinite time in the past.

2. A state of affairs is reported as the present result of something happening in the past.

Now [1] is a clear justification for I have attended a lecture

(Although many American speakers, and some British speakers could say I attended a lecture here)

The converse of [1] is that PAST SIMPLE is normal for an action at a definite time in the past. So we can say I have attended a lecture that sparked my interest on the grounds that the sparking of interest occurred at a definite time — the time of the lecture that has already been mentioned.

This represents sparking of interest as the starting point for the speaker's growing interest.

But suppose we see sparking of interest as a present result. In that case [2] can justify I have attended a lecture that has sparked my interest.

Personally. I'm inclined to see sparking as an event, so I'm inclined to use PAST SIMPLE. But I wouldn't dismiss the other view as wrong.

I've written about the grammar of the sentence, because that was the question you asked. I'm actually more worried about the vocabulary. I'm not happy with

• I'm drawn to
    • due to the fact that
    • I attended

I can see what you mean, but they feel stylistically wrong.