Succeed in -ING or Succeed to inf

Hi,

I'm French and I'd like to know if it's grammatically correct to say something like: "I succeeded to do it". I know that saying "I succeeded in doing it" for example is correct, but I'm not sure if using the infinitive form after "succeed" can work. I've seen it several times though.

Thank you!!

Comments

• No @englishaddict, I succeeded to do it isn't really English. Not Standard English, anyway. The fact that you've seen it in writing may have one of several explanations.

1. The writer may have been typing quickly without thinking. He or she may have started the sentence with one construction in mind, but then thoughtlessly finished it with another construction.

2. The writer may not have been a native speaker.

3. The writer may a speaker of English but not of the Standard dialect.

Now, non-native English and non-standard English forms do sometimes become accepted as Standard English. So it's just possible that I succeeded to do it may become Standard English some time in the future.

• Yikes, I meant to use this new moniker. Simone, can you delete MaryVancouver?

@DavidCrosbie Your comment explains many indiscretions that I have seen in print of late. You have made many handy comments on this forum. In fact, so handy I believe we need a new word for your contributions. I suggest “davesplaining”.

• @MaryNovik - MaryVancouver's account has been deleted.

Best wishes,

Joanne