Additional information on certain senses

Hello,

Certain senses have additional information attached to them when viewed through the Oxford website but I cannot see where that information is exposed in the API.

For example, the definition of cost (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/cost) shows

verb
[with object]

and then sense 1 and 1.1 indicate [with two objects] against the examples.

If I make a query for "cost" against the entries endpoint I don't see anything that provides this information, whereas for sense 1.2 the "informal" notation is provided as a register in the API results.

Equally for the noun there is nothing that indicates [mass noun] as shown in the web version.

Is there any way to obtain this information via the API?

Thanks.

Answers

• SimoneSimone Administrator admin

Hi @GarryWood
    Just saw both the questions you posted - let me get a colleague who will be able to help you with your queries. Bear with me! :)

• AmosDuveenAmosDuveen Member, Administrator, Moderator admin

Hi @GarryWood,

This is a known issue. There is a small loss of data that happens when the content is converted from its XML bulk data format to the LEAP database behind the API which spits out the JSON output you see.

We know the extent of the problem and are satisfied that only a small amount of supplementary data is lost and that all critical information is retained (annoying though it is to lose data). The data is not entirely lost, we just have't yet found a home for it in the LEAP database structure.

I'm not involved in this work myself but I have been in meetings with the people who are and I know they have been assessing different ways to make it fit. I cannot give you a timescale because, once a decision is made, the data will need reconverting and the issue has to compete with other, perhaps more pressing, priorities. However, rest assured, we are aware and it will be fixed.

• Thanks @AmosDuveen,

I'll keep an eye out for when this fix appears, much appreciated.