Associating dictionary definitions with synonym results

Hello,

I am trying to work out how to associate returned synonym results with the dictionary definitions they belong to.

For a very simple example, if I take the word stable and look it up using the entries endpoint I get results returned for Adjective, Noun and Verb and within each of them are senses and sub senses that provide the definitions and some examples.

If I then perform a synonym lookup on the word stable the results include the adjectival form only (which is fine) and within that there are multiple senses and sub senses that contain the synonyms. The senses include examples but not definitions so I was wanting to associate these results to the definitions returned from the previous lookup but I don't see any way to do this.

Each of the senses seems to have an ID value against it (such as m_en_gbus0985760.007) but there doesn't seem to be any correlation of these between the two searches.

Is there a way to be able to associate the synonym results with the correct definitions?

Thank you.

Answers

• joughtredjoughtred Member, Administrator, Moderator admin

Hi @GarryWood,

Let me check this with a member of our technical team and get back to you.

Best wishes,

Joanne

• joughtredjoughtred Member, Administrator, Moderator admin

Hello @GarryWood,

It turns out this is a feature that we are already looking in to! Although I can't yet say for sure when you will be able to do this through the API, I'd be very happy to contact you when this functionality becomes available.

Best wishes,

Joanne

• Thanks Joanne,

It would be great if this feature can be added to the API.

The Oxford website is able to do this so the information seems to be available, just not visible in the API yet.

• AmosDuveenAmosDuveen Member, Administrator, Moderator admin

Hi @GarryWood,

Sorry to pick this up so late in the day - it originally came up while I was on leave. This issue will be resolved when we get an Americanised version of our thesaurus data up and running. There have already been some pre-release versions knocking around in-house so it isn't too far off. The current planning is for the data to be ready next month (if you believe that kind of thing!). One further complication is that, once the data is ready in bulk, it needs to be converted and fed into the API, which is a separate process and therefore delay things a little longer (November, by current planning).

Although, as with all planning, all this could easily get knocked off kilter, if (when) priorities change or urgent issues crop up and swallow up resources from elsewhere.

• Thanks @AmosDuveen,

I'll keep an eye out for that change in the next few months.