Using Region=US for endpoints like antonyms, synonyms, pronunciation, etc

Is this even available? I am trying to get basic results for US English words like "color" and I get zero results. It appears that the region defaults to GB in all endpoints (which I can understand since it is the Oxford dictionary). The only endpoint I can get a region=us response is the base entries/ endpoint. Is there a way to get region to return US results for antonyms, synonyms, and other endpoints? Or is this just not supported yet?

Comments

• SimoneSimone Member, Administrator, Moderator admin

Hi @toga62
    Hum, that is a bit odd as the Oxford Dictionary of American English is available on the API and it looks like you what you were doing was correct to get the results.
    But let me get a colleague who knows more about it to help you, bear with me!

• AmosDuveenAmosDuveen Member, Administrator, Moderator admin

Hi @toga62,

We do not currently serve US English Thesaurus data via the API. The (GB-flavoured world English) thesaurus currently available does include coverage of US-specific language but, given its nature, gives preference to GB spelling. This is a known issue and we are working to fill this gap in our current offering; however, it is likely to require a substantial amount of work, which will take several months. When the new dataset is ready, I expect work will begin to get it ready for our API, which will take us a little longer still.

• toga62toga62 Member

Thanks for the update. I figured it was a Thesaurus thing. I was able to get the Dictionary entries I needed with region=us.

I am currently working around this limitation by using a list of word differences and looking against it for synonym or antonym calls. If it has a corresponding GB word, then I swap it and return the result. Not ideal, but at least it doesn't result in a user getting a "sorry I can't find that word" response in my app.

This is the list I'm using if anyone is curious.
    http://www.tysto.com/uk-us-spelling-list.html

• toga62toga62 Member
    edited June 2017

oh! and the sentences endpoint. I saw someone where that you cannot pass the region=us filter and I get the same error, but when I use the sample word "Color" I get a response. I will have to test other words.

• AmosDuveenAmosDuveen Member, Administrator, Moderator admin

Good to know you have found another way @toga62. Thanks for posting it; others may find it useful.