Spell check and suggestion

Hi,

I am trying to check the spelling of a word and if the word is not in Oxford dictionary, then I would like to provide a few suggestions to users. We are using "Search" endpoint to achieve this.

But in a recent API call, I requested the word "comanies" to Api, but it returned the suggestion "Romanes" and the expected word was "companies". We are looking for a way to list the suggested words that is near.

Please keep me updated, if there are plans to improve the suggested words through Api calls.

Thanks
Veera

Comments

• SimoneSimone Administrator admin
    edited June 2017

Hi Veera @Integra
    Sorry to reply a bit late to your question, your posts seem to have been retained as spam by mistake. Apologies for that!
    Anyway, I have now alerted one of my colleagues who should be able to help you.
    Bear with me!
    (I saw that exactly the same question was repeated on another category, I will just delete that one if that's ok).

• AmosDuveenAmosDuveen Member, Administrator, Moderator admin

Hi Veera @Integra,

I'm not familiar with the fuzzy-matching logic behind the search endpoint but it it isn't working for the kinds of mistake you expect your users to make, the only other thing I can suggest would be to ask your user to enter the first few characters of the word and put that into the prefix filter of a wordlist search. That will output a list of headwords but will require another call to retrieve the definition.

Cheers,
    Amos.