Can't seem to get the 1st and most popular definition for every word, only some words. Javascript

So I am creating a simple dictionary google chrome extension. Simply, you enter a word, and then it get's the definition by accessing Oxford API. I would get the response and then retrieve the definition by
response.results[0].lexicalEntries[i].entries[0].senses[0].definitions;

However, I realized through trials that it would not grab the first/most popular definition. Some words it would retrieve the first entry definition for that word (great!). However, for others it would not retrieve one at all or it would retrieve a weird definition that is not usually meant with that word.

So I am asking how to access the BEST/FIRST entry for each word every time. The way I am accessing the definition is not working as expected for some words.

HELP! THANKS!

Comments

• SimoneSimone Member, Administrator, Moderator admin

Hi @reddismycolor, welcome!
    I'm sorry I could not acknowledge your question yesterday - I was ill.

But I'm on it now, I'm contacting my colleagues from the technical team to get back to you asap.
    So help is on the way, bear with us!

• vantipinvantipin Member

Hi @reddismycolor some "senses" don't have definition records. Sometimes the only definition in entry is positioned "senses" -> "subsenses" -> "definition"

I would advise using more sophisticated logic to access definition. Looping through "senses" would do. And just in case there is no definition - you should have checks in place.

• AmosDuveenAmosDuveen Member, Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited March 2017

Hi @reddismycolor,

Further to what @vantipin said, it is worth mentioning that some entries do not have definition field because the meaning of the word is instead contained within a cross-reference field e.g. sense 6 of 'term' (see here).

• @vantipin thanks for the response. how would i go about this then? I am relatively new to JS and APIs so. response.results[0].lexicalEntries[0].entries[0].senses[0].definitions[0] has been working pretty well. I got the first definition for many, but then I search up something stupid like "dawg" and it returns an error become definitions[0] is undefined, even though there is an entry for it. Is there a way to get it to work for EVERY word? How come the internal structure for the responses isn't the same for every word?

Thanks a lot for the help!

• SimoneSimone Member, Administrator, Moderator admin

Hi @reddismycolor, let me get in touch with the technical team again for you, bear with me!

• vantipinvantipin Member
    edited April 2017

Hi @reddismycolor,

You'll need a simple loop to go through all the options for entries, senses.
    You can easily find how to do this online.
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3010840/loop-through-an-array-in-javascript

Before accessing the value you should check it's not null http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4361585/javascript-how-to-test-if-a-variable-is-not-null

Use "break" to stop looping as soon as you found the definition
    https://www.w3schools.com/js/js_break.asp

• AmosDuveenAmosDuveen Member, Administrator, Moderator admin

Hi @reddismycolor,

Following up again on the issue, you still need to check for cross-references, which are tagged differently to standard definitions. To use the example you quoted, "dawg", a standard entry call produces the output below (note that the cross reference content replaces the definition):

{ "metadata": { "provider": "Oxford University Press" }, "results": [ { "id": "dawg", "language": "en", "lexicalEntries": [ { "entries": [ { "grammaticalFeatures": [ { "text": "Singular", "type": "Number" } ], "homographNumber": "000", "senses": [ { "crossReferenceMarkers": [ "non-standard spelling of dog, used especially to represent American speech" ], "crossReferences": [ { "id": "dog", "text": "dog", "type": "variant spelling" } ], "id": "m_en_gbus0252470.008" } ] } ], "language": "en", "lexicalCategory": "Noun", "pronunciations": [ { "audioFile": "http://audio.oxforddictionaries.com/en/mp3/dawg_gb_2.mp3", "phoneticNotation": "IPA", "phoneticSpelling": "dɔːɡ" } ], "text": "dawg" } ], "type": "headword", "word": "dawg" } ] }

• joughtredjoughtred Member, Administrator, Moderator admin

You might also like to know that, in general, the lower the homograph number (for example, '001'), the more common the definition. I hope this helps, @reddismycolor!