Dear API forum users,

Please note that our site is undergoing maintenance.
We apologize for any inconvenience, we should be back fully operational soon.

Please refrain from posting as new posts may not be saved during this period.

The Oxford dictionaries API team

How to Fix Status Code 429

Dear Oxford API Community,

I'm a student of language and literature, and not a programmer, but somehow I found my way through building a script that gets definitions and examples of a word list. Later I found that my kind of account is limited to 60 requests per minute, and I didn't realize I was getting warning emails until I started having problems with my script, and couldn't find the description for status code 429 anywhere in the documentation. Later I checked my inbox and found the warning emails stating I had reached 100% of my 60 requests per minute.

My question is: is there a way to remediate that? I worked my way through the code to limit the the amount of requests per minute, but I'm still getting the status code.

Thanks for taking the time to read my query. I appreciate any help you can offer.

Cheers!

P.s. I have not blown my monthly limit yet.

Answers

• TaisFukushimaTaisFukushima Member, Administrator, Moderator admin

Hello @dave1

You will need to reduce the number of calls to the API to avoid 429 error. When you receive this error message, it can mean that you reached your number of calls limit.

For Prototype plan customers, the limit is 1000 calls a month and 60 requests per minute.

For Developer plan customers, it is 500 requests per minute and an unlimited monthly total.

Regarding the limit per minute, the API won't allow more subsequent requests until the next minute starts.

We have checked in our system, and it shows that you reached 1000 calls. Therefore, you will need to wait until the following month to make calls.