Dear API forum users,

Please note that our site is undergoing maintenance.
We apologize for any inconvenience, we should be back fully operational soon.

Please refrain from posting as new posts may not be saved during this period.

The Oxford dictionaries API team

403 forbidden, trying to access /api/v2/words/en-us?q=swimming

I've tried switching from the Developer plan back to Prototype with no luck. Also, my Debit card on file never seems deduct the amount owed for some reason (standard U.S. based bank account).

Adding a new key was not helpful either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Best Answer

• TaisFukushimaTaisFukushima Member, Administrator, Moderator admin
    Accepted Answer

Hello @WC2

If you try to request a word in the Words endpoint with a Prototype plan, you will receive a message error. It may happen because the Prototype plan gives access to entries and lemmas endpoints only.

If you upgrade to a Developer plan, you will have access to the Words endpoint but only for other languages that aren't English.

Please, see here more information about the plans and what is included.

Please, let me know if that helps. I will ask my colleagues to check the card problem, and they should soon get in contact with you.

Answers

• WC2WC2 Member

Thanks for the reply!

I am still unable to authenticate under my previous account. After creating a new account I was able to perform a lookup through the /entries endpoint without a problem (same script, swapped appID and key).

Should I continue with the new account or can I somehow regain access to the API under my previous account?

Thanks again

• TaisFukushimaTaisFukushima Member, Administrator, Moderator admin

Hello @WC2

It shows me that you are in a Developer plan. It may be the reason you can't use Entries and request English words. You won't have access to English datasets in the Developer plan.

Could you let me know if your new account is a Prototype plan?

• WC2WC2 Member

The confusion stemmed from a combination of another forum thread (that I misread) and switching back and forth from a Prototype to a Developer plan. Apparently it takes a minute or so to update the account change, which made it seem as though I was still able to access the English endpoint of /Entries etc under a Developer plan. Everything works as expected now.

Thanks for the help!