Explore the Oxford English Dictionary (OED) and Bab.la datasets

SimoneSimone Administrator admin
edited March 2017 in Frequently asked questions

Would you be interested in exploring the datasets from the OED (which has the meaning, history and pronunciation of over 600,000 English words) and from Bab.la (which offers bi-directional translations in more than 28 languages)?

Now you can: visit Our Data, where you can also send us any feedback and help shape what is coming next for the Oxford Dictionaries API.

Our data: explore the OED and Bab.la datasets, and try the OED documentation

OED
Bab.la

Comments

• simonesmithsimonesmith Member

are those translations for the current meanings returned by the base API calls (UK or US) or are separate dictionaries with different entries?

• SimoneSimone Administrator admin

Hi @simonesmith - good point, let me ask a colleague who will be able to give you more detail on this!

• AmosDuveenAmosDuveen Member, Administrator, Moderator admin

Hi @simonesmith,

I'm not sure I fully understand your question so please let me know if I've gone off on a tangent. Each monolingual language and each bilingual language pairing is a separate dataset. They have all been specifically developed or selected to provide a broad coverage of current usage so while there ought to be a broad consensus between datasets, we cannot guarantee a 100% headword match, e.g. between Spanish and Spanish-English or between English-isiZulu and English.

• PedroAsantezPedroAsantez Member
    edited January 2018

Hi @Simone

That would be very useful, but unfortunately the OED https://developer.oxforddictionaries.com/our-data# API don't work; it gives: "Authentication failed" from all (test page, curl, java API call) using my app_id + key_id.
    It works only with the default key on the test page.

I guess the user database is not synchronized between the two sets of APIs.

Would be useful to have a wordList API also, otherwise how to know what words can use.

Also would be good to have the quotations in the same way the ODE samples are (query by word not by sense ID)

Let me know if the authentication problem is fixed
    Thank you very much

Hi @PedroAsantez
    Thanks, let me flag this up to my colleagues.

• AmosDuveenAmosDuveen Member, Administrator, Moderator admin

Hi @PedroAsantez,

A quick update, the OED API is working on a different system and so is only currently available to a few academic institutions. It isn't yet available for public consumption and is only on the site as a demonstration rather than as a finished product.

If you have any specific queries or requests, please let us know and I'll see if we can accommodate them in a different way.

NB: I'll delete my previous comment as it gave a wrong answer (to forestall any confusion)

• PedroAsantezPedroAsantez Member
    edited January 2018

Hi

Thank you for the info.

Regards
    Pedro

• timcostatimcosta Member

Will the bab.la API be made available? The page above mentions a questionnaire, but the link to the questionnaire doesn't do anything (url is for the same page).

Hi @timcosta

Thanks for flagging this up, the link is actually broken there and we were not aware of it.
    Here is the link to the questionnaire, so you don't need to wait for it to be fixed on the API portal:
    http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/3330557/Oxford-Dictionaries-API-bab-la-language-data-copy/

(it's for you to let us know what would be useful for you, as it is no possible to exactly sample the Bab.la sets for the moment. The OED sets can be sampled on that page).

I hope this is helpful!